Electronics / Key Problem...

lagerstar

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, have been meaning to join for the last couple of years but never got round to it. Now, I'm having a few issues with my BMW and I'm hoping someone may be able to help.

I have a BMW 320d Touring, 2006 (56 plate), which has just developed a problem. It happened whilst my wife was driving, but I don't think it was 'female' related, lol!

The car worked fine this morning, and she parked up at work. When she went to start the car, she inserted the key, dash lights came on as normal. Pressed START and a Red Steering Wheel lock symbol appeared. She jiggled the wheel and pressed in the Clutch and pressed START again to start the car - all the dash lights started flashing, and the fuse boxes in the glove box and the boot were all clicking.

After a few attempts the car still wouldn't start. She tried locking and unlocking to try and reset it, and eventually the key ended up getting stuck in the slot. It wouldn't come out so she forced it out (hopefully she hasn't damaged the mechanism or anything).

She left the car as got a lift home, so I went back tonight to try and fix it. All I could get now was dash lights flickering slightly, and what appears to be a dead battery. We tried to jump start, even hoping another running battery would sort it out but to no avail. The car seems dead, even with the key in or out there is no difference, as though it now doesn't recognize whether the key is in, and there is pretty much constant clicking noises from the fuse boxes. Red Steering Wheel lock light comes on for a second then fades into a line and disappears. The glove box light flickers and the courtesy light comes on every minute or so and flickers out.

I'm not sure if this is an electrical fault or fuse issue or what. I would disconnect the battery but I can't even find where it is located, as this may reset the system. Any help is much appreciated, if anyone knows what to do or has had this happen in the past.

Many thanks,

Ian

Yes I've tried both the master and spare key's and nothing is working. The key slot also thinks the key is in, so you have to push it hard to get it in, but it won't release either so you have to pull it our quite hard. I'm guessing the battery being dead is stopping the electrics working for this, as the car won't even lock or anything with the key fob.

thanks

Guest Mister Dabsy

BATTERY as mentioned above...

As an extra measure, have the alternator tested too...

The Pearl had many errors AND similar symptoms - Replaced Battery and all errors gone !!

BMW's demand reliable power... Does your boot condensate?

Thanks for the tips on that guys. The boot doesn't condensate no. The only electrical 'issue' I have ever noticed is that the radio goes fuzzy when the rear screen heater is on, maybe a loose earth or something with that.

The car is running now, had to join the RAC and got them out this morning. When he tried to jump it off the van the electronics started working but there wasn't enough power to turn the starter motor, so he thought the battery had collapsed. It wouldn't charge while connected to the car so he swapped out for another battery, which worked a treat. Checked the alternator and all good. Managed to charge my batt off his van and the tester showed it as a Good Battery so we tried it again. All workin fine, so it didn't even cost me a penny!

Thought it was something much more sinister like, but it turned out to be the mrs leaving the side lights on!

• 3 years later...

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links