Remap 330D

Guest Mister Dabsy

If you have the budget available then yes... BMW's roll out of the production line as "Stock" (dependant of country emission law)... So you could call them Generic !!

A re-map would cost you between 200-400 depending on the hours spent by the operator/mech... You will be asked how you want her... This means - Economy, bottom end torque, mid range power, spread and max bhp (usually post 5k rpm).. And a combination !! Each car is individual due to it's age etc...

DAZ

• 4 weeks later...

I re-mapped my old automatic 54 plate 330d and the difference was excellent. As is yours, the car is fast anyway but when I picked the car up the engineer had a big grin on his face and his exact words were "your car is like a ballistic missile". The car picked up really well, kick down out of this world, mpg only increased by 1mp (was getting 39mpg). Am definitely getting my new 330d done once the programme is ready. Definitely recommend.

• 1 year later...

I had mine done a few days ago, a 59 plate 330D MSport Coupe. It is obviously early days yet but I asked for the pick up to be improved from a standing start. As it is an auto box it is not possible to spin the turbo up from a standing start so there is a delay until it begins to boost added to the slow take up through the torque converter. This has been improved greatly with the throttle response sharpened up and the auto box appears less lazy. You can definitely feel the additional push when planting it but the traction control light is always blinking and reducing the fun. The engineer told me that changing run flats to standard tyres improves this greatly adding a little more compliance and reducing the skipping which triggers the traction control. I had a Legacy Spec B last and the traction was unbelievable shame the BM doesn't have a limited slip diff!! Fuel consumption appears to be up slightly from 41.5 to around 44 but so far that is only comparing over about 400 miles.

I have yet to give it a good blast with the TC off, so no not really. The problem tends to be when you are driving normally and try to get out quick on a roundabout or junction and the TC cuts in way to easily leaving you a little embarrassed until it sorts it self out. I have had the car since January but it is noticeable that the TC cuts in more easily now there is more torque after the tune. I will give it a go with TC turned off but if it shreds tyres it will have to go back on. Is anybody on here running ordinary tyres instead of run flats on 19 inch wheels? If so is it a great improvement?

I think you're lucky that the DSC is interrupting at all, I've heard stories about remapped diesel engines on post-2004 BMWs, where there is so much torque, even DSC is not able to cope well enough with it, so you get an occasional screech/spin on slippery surfaces.

A lack of LSD on these cars is a real shame; having so much power and not being able to put it down correctly because of interrupting DSC is like giving a kid his favourite toys, just to take them away the moment he starts enjoying playing with them...

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so a little update after driving for a few 1000 miles. I have now tried with the DTC off and this solves the problem of the engine cutting the power and transforms the car into what it should be. It appears that the DSC is set just too sensitive. When pulling away quickly or applying power while changing direction the engine begins to cut power, which is just ridiculous. Reading the blurb on the BMW site about DTC it indicates you switch DTC on which overrides DSC and allows more slipping of the wheels and yet in the car you press the DTC button and it says DTC off to enable this function? Not to worry it works. I am just not sure why this is not the standard setting for such a powerful car. You can get caught out in an overtake manoeuvre if DTC is not engaged which you have to do every time you start the car!! Can you set this as permanently on?

Guest Mister Dabsy

Yes, this is done via OBDII and software... You could've had that done at remap too, making it so you had to use the button to switch it ON as opposed to OFF !

From what I've learned recently from BMW about DSC and DTC:

DSC is a system combining traction control and stability control systems together.

DSC is a "safety" system which acts as a sophisticated electronic version of LSD, making sure you don't ever lose grip, by throttling the engine output and placing it on wheels that have more grip, to get you out of trouble easier. It constantly measures variety of data based on plenty of sensors (g-forces, yaw, wheel speed, oversteer, understeer, and more). When it detects a difference from the implemented safe model, it then interrupts.

As for DTC, this is a part of DSC programme, but it acts like "sport" setting, so it allows for some wheel spin, throttle response is definitely better and so on, but the system still "monitors" driver's progress to interrupt only in exceptional cases, so you can still have fun driving, while staying moderately safe on the road. Apparently, it switches off traction control, while preserving stability control, but I was not able to confirm that. I think it's just a "sport" sport setting of the two.

Based on my tests, I would not recommend driving with both DSC and DTC off, especially when you haven't equipped your car in a limited-slip differential, unless you'd like to wrap your beautiful car around the nearest lamp post or a tree.

As for changing default settings during a remap, I will let you know as soon as I've done it, cause I'd like to set DTC as a default programme.

Shadowface I would agree, even in standard spec DTC is fine and should be the default setting. DSC is way to sensitive I can be dangerous if you go for it at a roundabout or overtaking manoeuvre and it begins to cut in, what do you do then.

Fuel consumption has gone up slightly after the remap I have now achieved 43.4 mpg over around 4000 miles. I do a lot of motorway driving at the moment even going do to Falmouth the other week on business from Basingstoke. On one journey back from Yeovil at a constant 70 it went up to 47 mpg, but normal driving sees the 43.4 mpg. Happy with that after the Subaru Legacy that did 25 mpg!!!

Ok so a little update after driving for a few 1000 miles. I have now tried with the DTC off and this solves the problem of the engine cutting the power and transforms the car into what it should be. It appears that the DSC is set just too sensitive. When pulling away quickly or applying power while changing direction the engine begins to cut power, which is just ridiculous. Reading the blurb on the BMW site about DTC it indicates you switch DTC on which overrides DSC and allows more slipping of the wheels and yet in the car you press the DTC button and it says DTC off to enable this function? Not to worry it works. I am just not sure why this is not the standard setting for such a powerful car. You can get caught out in an overtake manoeuvre if DTC is not engaged which you have to do every time you start the car!! Can you set this as permanently on?

If you hold the DTC button for more than 5 seconds it is completely off and use sport mode, fuel consumption is poo, 24.3 but it changes the dynamics of car. I love my 330d

• 1 year later...

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links