Eta Engines

Guest DazH

Hi guys,

As you know my engine is a complete write-off and I'm contemplating a new engine. My Dad's found an engine from a 525 and the seller claims its an M20. He has also told my Dad that it is an ETA engine which I understand is built for fuel efficiency.

in your opinion, does that engine suck?

Daz

Guest Mister Dabsy

Depends on whether its worth the money you're gonna spend...

At the end of the day you will have TWO M20's where you can build ONE good one out of them!!!

If the bottom-end is deffo shot then you have to do it mate, but you didn't explain the extent of the damage...

Depends on whether its worth the money you're gonna spend...

At the end of the day you will have TWO M20's where you can build ONE good one out of them!!!

If the bottom-end is deffo shot then you have to do it mate, but you didn't explain the extent of the damage...

Well, I dont think there is any damage to the bottom block but I don't know how I would tell..

Do you know anywhere where I can get a re-manufactured cylinder head? Website? place? etc.. etc..

Daz

Guest Mister Dabsy

Yellow pages would be a good start for locality mate...

The block (bottom-end) is very strong, just check for excessive piston movement (sideways)...

...And maybe drop the sump and have a butchers at the crank, just to see if it gets plenty of oil etc...

If all is well with the block then go for the replacement head or have yours re-conned with stretch bolts (not the old hex bolts)...

Pistons are solid and not moving around. Piston rings seem to be doing their job :)

If it wasn't raining, I would go drop the sump today. I think its a tomorrow job..

I can't get the cylinder head re-manufactured as the bolt blew a hole in it according to the engineers who done the pressure test. It's going to probably be a new one but I'm struggling to find one!!

Owww Don't you worry. Those HEX bolts can go to Heck!!!

Thanks,

Daz

Guest Mister Dabsy

So I would say, at this point, that the block is fine mate !

What, EXACTLY, is the damage to the head? A pic would be good at this time...

So I would say, at this point, that the block is fine mate !

What, EXACTLY, is the damage to the head? A pic would be good at this time...

My Dad's picking it up from the engineers on Monday. I didn't spot if before I brought it there though <_< but I don't think they are bullshatting as they called Dad up and asked him:

"Are you missing a bolt-head mate?"

"Ummm Yes actually.."

"Yeah, I have it in my hand. It made a hole in the cylinder head the size of a 50p coin"

How would they have got the bolt out? and WHY couldn't I see it before? I didn't take the valves and cams out before I gave it to them as I have never done it before. They cahrged me 85 quid to clean it up and pressure test it!!! Non-Refundable :(

Guest Mister Dabsy

But why has that bolt-head made a hole? Did it jam into a valve spring, or what?

Ahhh... The bolt-head might have had a fight with the cam! But you mentioned the cam looked fine...

Like I said, gimme a pic of the damage mate...

To be honest mate, I have NO IDEA what they mean by 'A hole' as I didn't see anything. Yes the Cams look okay :)

When I get it back, I'll try my best to take a photo of the damage and post it here right away

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links