Buying an X1.

Have shortlisted the X1 to replace my Mazda CX5.

Seems to tick all the boxes but a few questions.

Looking at the updated 23 model .

Can you get a spare wheel for the X1 and can it be stowed away out of sight.

What MPG can i realistically exxpect from the 1.5 s drive engine?

Can you fit an adult bke in the back with seats down?

What is the annual car tax on an X1 valued new at under £40k

Thanks in anticipation. Lots of useful information on this forum.

I

Hi Bob,

I when I had my 2018 X1 Sport I was able to fit my adult eletric bike in the back, but I had to remove the front wheel. I understand the newer X1s are a smidgen larger, but I don't think the boot dimensions have increased significantly.

Regarding the 1.5 3 pot engine, that's what powers my 220i Active Tourer sDrive (although it's a mild hybrid). During the last month I've covered some 500miles, at lot of which was motorway and dual carriageway, and my MPG (according to the on-board computer) is 49.2. Whilst your X1 is larger I'm lugging around a battery but getting the advantage of slight regen.

The DVLC website has info regarding the roadtax you'll pay.

My X1 was purely petrol and I did have a spare wheel. Provided you are not looking at a hybrid, then a spare wheel should be possible under the floor.

I hope this helps

Ian

Thanks really appreciate the information.

Didnt realise the X1 had a 3 cylinder engine with the 1.5. Surely thats underpowered for a car of this size?

Hi Bob,

Just make sure you check out the specs. If it is a 1.5l engine it's probably a MHEV, in which case no room underfloor for a spare wheel. Secondly, if that is the case it's built on the same platform as my 220i Active tourer which has a quoted 0-62mph of 8.2s. That's a bit misleading as I think that time is achieved by using the 'Boost' function, where the energy stored in the battery is suddenly dumped into the drive train for a 'Launch' effect. I don't find my 220i to be slow. It picks up quickly from 50 to 70(and plus) on the motorway if required. Sure it's not going to be up there with cars that have 200hp or more. But then if you're thinking of an X1 you are obviously more interested in practical luggage carrying than speed. Remember most of the average 'bloggsmobiles' have a 0-62mph time of 10s+. I think the X1 with the 1.5l engine has a time of 8.3s, and a top speed of 138mph so whilst not high performance it's no sluggard.

On another note, just try to keep the cost, when new, below that £40k threshold, after which annual car tax rises to £590  per annum for the first 5 years for the second licence.

In the end, only a test drive will tell you if it suits you.

Good luck

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links