Gear / Transmission Problem

PatrickX3

Good Morning,

Looking for any suggestions,

I had what is a commomn problem with the transfer case actuator gear. That plastic gear wore out. I had a new one put in and every since I have had the problem that when I am turning right there are times when the traction control wants to kick in and prompts the yellow gear light to come on on the dash. Usually immediatley goes away. On a few occassions however the light stayed on and the transmission appeared to be stuck in low gear. I stop, turn the engine off and everthing returns to normal. When turning left the transmission at times seems to disengage when trying to accelerate. I took it back to the mechanic who replaced the gear and he says he doesn't know, no codes show up that would indicate a problem. This is on a 2007/2008 X3 E83 2.0 with the automatic 6 speed tranny. Any suggestion on what might be the problem!

Thanks in adavnce for any advice

LP.

Afternoon Larry

Welcome to the Forum

If all he did was change the gearset there should have been no problems unless it needs recalibration

What size wheels and tyres are you running ? Are the tyres fitted the correct sizes and wearing evenly?

BMW's with staggered wheel sets (wider rear) need the front rear sets of tyres to be closely matched and preferably the same manufacturer BMW use (Star) marked tyres from nominated suppliers to avoid this problem

Dave

3 hours ago, Greydog said:

Afternoon Larry

Welcome to the Forum

If all he did was change the gearset there should have been no problems unless it needs recalibration

What size wheels and tyres are you running ? Are the tyres fitted the correct sizes and wearing evenly?

BMW's with staggered wheel sets (wider rear) need the front rear sets of tyres to be closely matched and preferably the same manufacturer BMW use (Star) marked tyres from nominated suppliers to avoid this problem

Dave

Hi Dave, 

Thanks for the reply! I am running the recomended tires 235/55/17. I know on the X5 usually has bigger tires in back. But the X3 usually has the same size front and back. I am currently running Pirellis which is exactly what was on it when bought it. I had switched to another brand for a few years, but last time they needed replacing went back to the Pirrellis. Just seems unusual that this literally started when I picked it up from the service I referred to in the original post. Guess I might have to look into a transmission service. Hopefully oil and tranny fluid change might fix the problem.

Again thanks for your time!

Larry

Morning Larry

OK tyres are good so one major cause of Transfer case issues out of the way. There are many more X3's running staggered wheel sets  than you would imagine.

Changing the gear set in the servo motor isn't a service unless, you had asked him to do that as well

If the Transfer case was serviced you need to make sure the correct Fluid was used and levels are correct. Transfer case should on your car be ATC400 Fluid should be BMW TF 0870 1000ml

You need someone with ZF or BMW capable software to carry out the service and recalibration 

Not trying to teach Granny to suck Eggs here just my experience

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links