To change gearbox and Diff Oil or not?

Red Leader

Morning all,

I am hoping someone far more wise than me can advise...my E84 X25d has just ticked over 60K, should I be considering a change in gearbox oil?  Also, does the XDrive system have any requirements, such as diff oil change?

Morning Steve

BMW tell people they are sealed for Life but for Life read end of their warranty responsibility ?? 

ZF who actually make your Gearbox advise Fluid and filter changes at 60 to 100k intervals, personal preference is I change the Diff oil and Transfer Case fluid at the same time

My X5 4.6is has 164k on the clock and I have just serviced the Gearbox Diffs and Transfer case for the second time changes are smooth and I tow a horse trailer through the summer months. My E70 has just had its 1st transmission service in my ownership at 117k 

Dave

1 hour ago, Greydog said:

Morning Steve

BMW tell people they are sealed for Life but for Life read end of their warranty responsibility ?? 

ZF who actually make your Gearbox advise Fluid and filter changes at 60 to 100k intervals, personal preference is I change the Diff oil and Transfer Case fluid at the same time

My X5 4.6is has 164k on the clock and I have just serviced the Gearbox Diffs and Transfer case for the second time changes are smooth and I tow a horse trailer through the summer months. My E70 has just had its 1st transmission service in my ownership at 117k 

Dave

Thanks Dave,

So just to clarify, Diff Oil change will look after the XDrive and for Transfer Case Oil read Gearbox?  Is this correct

Morning Steve

You should have 2 Diffs Front and Rear, the Transfer case is on the back end of the Gearbox and splits drive to the Front and Rear

Both Diffs will use a Synthetic Hypoid 75-90 type oil check your handbook The Transfer case will use a Special DTF type Transfer Case fluid again check your handbook or www.realoem.com

Dave

• 6 months later...

Morning Colin

ZF who make the box recommend Servicing the box between 80k to 100k kilometres depending on use. So if it hasn't been done yours is well overdue as for price I would think that the service kit and fluid would be between £150 and £300 (the higher being ZF) then add a couple of hours labour £500 isn't so bad

Just serviced my own X5 3.0d using Genuine ZF service parts cost for the kit was £320 I also changed the Fluid in the Transfer case and Front and Rear Diffs 4 litres at £25 per litre 

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links