2016 320d xdrive knocking sound

Becky Mac33

Evening!

I bought a 2016 320d xdrive M Sport beginning of Jan this year. Engine ace, auto box awesome. However, 2 things. It has 19" wheels, which look great, run flats, but it feels incredibly sensitive, feels everything in and on the road, and at speed, feels even worse, very light. Next, I have a knocking noise first thing. So when I pull away from home, full right lock, there's a knocking at front, then I turn left, same knocking, then right onto main road, knock knock, after that, he seems to settle. I have taken out a 2 year warranty, which I'm thinking, I may well need. I've been reading a bit about knocking noises, and steering rack may be the problem. Any help and advice welcomed. Thanks, Becky

Hi Becky

As your car is X-drive are all 4 wheels and tyres the same size (square set up) or are the rears wheels/tyres wider (staggered set up) ? Run flat tyres can be very sensitive when near their end of life, they are also famous for having a harsh ride. Make sure all tyres are the correct size and same make, that may help the handling problem. Tyres should be something like 225x40x19 all round if you have the Square set up or 225x40x19 Front and 255x35x19 Rear if the staggered set up.

The knocking on lock is likely to be CV joints (the joint that provides drive to the front wheels and allows them to steer)  

Good Luck at the Garage you may find the CV joints just need cleaning re-packing and refitting (not difficult but a messy job) if they need replacing you may find the Warranty Company claim wear and tear let the garage deal with them as they will know the language to use if claiming.

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links