Info on alloys

Mogsy101

Hi forum. 

Excuse my lack of knowledge and plain ignorance beforehand. Would anybody have any info on the rims i have fitted to my motor.? They are 22" (diamond cut I was told) with the rear being quite a deep dish to them.

I know zero about them or cannot find Image of set online only similar sizes but not as deep. 

Any info would be great. Not much of a petrol head and new to group so apologies and go easy on such a novice.lol.

Thanks in advance. Can supply more pics if needed.

20200424_192541.jpg

Morning Gareth

Welcome to the Forum

The car looks good sorry to say the wheels are not standard BMW fitment 20" were the largest offered on the E53 versions of the X5 (take a look here https://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/bmw_alloy_wheels/x5_e53_alloys). Those wheels could be from any number of suppliers or manufacturers? Whoever made them there should be casting/identification marks/numbers on the inside of the rims.Once you have them a Google search may turn up something. Take care as some after market wheels that will fit the stud pattern and off set are not designed to carry the weight of the X5 so may be prone to cracking.

My personal taste is not for the 21/22" wheels as the range of tyres tends to be restrictive, the 20" type 87 fitted to my X5 are bad enough when searching for tyres plus the bigger the wheel the lower the profile of tyre so a harsher ride. Your car looks like it's Le Mans Blue, if it is a Le mans optioned car then it should have come with 20" 168M style alloys

Dave

• Like 1

Hi greydog,

Thanks for the info, as I said, still pretty green when it comes to cars In truth, so wouldn't have any idea that 22" are technically too big for my X5. I had an idea they would compromise my ride and give a harsh feel to it, as profile of tyre is so low.

I know they are not standard bmw alloy or recommended size.

I will check site you suggested and put a little more effort into checking manufacturer and searching online.

Any reasons why rear set are so deep? Is it coz of difference in depth of calipers/brake discs on front or rear axles or just for show or something?

Are they worth refurbishment and selling on do you think? 

They are nice but your right regarding maintenance cost of tyres etc and ride comfort as it is an issue rather than good looks. Not to mention your point about possible cracking due to pressure/weight etc.

Plus I do feel like a big shiny d**k sometimes as people notice them.☺

Looks nice with its red brake shoes though I suppose.🙂.

You are spot on mate. 3.0l m'sport in Le mans blue. nice after decent wax and polish which i dont do enough tbh.

Thanks for your help greydog. Appreciated by this novice.👍👍👍

Hi Gareth

BMW started fitting Staggered Wheel sets (wider rear) to the "M" series cars M3, M5, M6 due to them being rear wheel drive and having more than enough power to break traction.

With the X5 being 4 wheel drive it is for aesthetics only and in fact in really slippery conditions can be a hindrance rather than a help. My car runs 20" staggered wheels 275x40 front and 315x35 rear, but I have a set of Winter wheels and tyres which are 18" and not staggered that run 255x50 

So the bigger wider wheels are for looks really I do prefer the car with my summer set of 20" wheels they fill the arches and just look right.

If you keep the wheels you have and have to buy tyres take care as a difference in rolling radius front to rear is a well known cause of damage to the transfer box and or diffs on many 4X4 cars and your X5 is no different. 

The main thing is ENJOY your X5

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links