Auto light sensor and wipers not working

Ingers

Hi all, I have a 2006 X3 and for some reason when the lights are on automatic they stay on all the time. Now I’m not sure if it’s connected but the intermittent wipers only start working after about 20 minutes of driving. My thoughts are that they could both be something to do with sensors relating to the windscreen? Please help? 

Morning Ian

Welcome to the Forum

The "automatic on" sensors for wipers and lights are in a housing behind the rear view mirror if the screen has been changed they could have come adrift. They stick to the windscreen and measure ambient light and refraction, if they have slipped then it could be why it thinks it's dark all the time. Un-clip the cover and make sure they are stuck to the windscreen correctly.you can buy new mounting pads.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I have to say that all I can see behind the rear view morrow when I look at it from the windscreen in is a hollow void with a sticker in it? 

Doesn’t look right to me ? 

45076802-9A27-4070-A6AE-708A390C0196.jpeg

Morning Ian

The cover inside behind the rearview mirror that covers the sensor just unclips, from your picture it looks like a Dash Cam is fitted I wonder if whoever fitted the camera disturbed the sensor?

My sensor is mounted behind the dark patch at the top of your picture, attached is a picture of mine. There are a couple of small clear areas for the sensor. The sticky pads used are "use once" and the screen needs to be clean and dry. If it was disturbed and then stuck back it possibly has just dropped down and needs a new sticky pad.

Good Luck

Dave

P1000735.JPG

Hi Dave, yes there is a dash cam but that’s just a stick on bracket which is under it. I’ll have a poke around behind the mirror. It looks as though the two faults I have are linked to this then by the replies I’ve had? 

Many thanks for your help

Ian 

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links