timing chain problems

hi new here and new to bmws as i just bought my first bm 316 with a 1.8 n42 engine , so when i bought it it was a non runner so put it on computer came back inlet cam sensor so went out and replaced this at same time i had noticed timing chain to be slightly slack ( yes i removed rocker cover)  timing was slightly out so redid the timing .. car started and drives amazingly well now heres my problem a child ran out in front of my car and i had to stop suddenly car did a slight jerk then stopped running and now wont restart put computer on and no codes i am thinking chain has jumped once again so heres my question , its it likely to be stretched chain in which case i will replace everything including guides or could it be  cam chain tensioner is not doing its  job

dont want to spend a whole load of money if its just a tensioner some advice would be great on this please thanks in advance.   

Hi Shaun...welcome to the Forum

Sounds like it has jumped out of time again....which would definitely suggest tensioner.

May be worth looking at oil quality as well to as that can affect the hydraulic tensioners' ability to do its job.

Let us know how you get on with it

Cheers   Trevor

*update*  so after getting a timing tool kit and timing chain kit with uprated tensioner i replaced tensioner first retimed it and it now back to purring like a kitten . so thank you.

i will replace chain and guides later i think but sofar this seams to have worked . :) 

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links