Good Idea Or Not?

hi all my name is tomo, hello!

i live in the west midlands and like some advice of you guys if yas dont mind too much?

well i am currently looking at a 2010 bmw 116i sport (n43 engine i think?) with 74000 miles on it (not the lowest milage i know) it is up for £7000. it has full service history and drives nice (certainly does not sound or feel like it has 74000 miles on it!) just had tyres all round, pads and discs all round and full service with spark plugs. there is no rattle from the timing chain on start up when cold, under load or whilst warm. there was a small almost 'click' sound front the throttle body when i got someone to blip the throttle whilst i listened (normal or not?) apart from that seams good for its age, few little scratches on the body work but it is 5 years old now after all and the parrot system... it did not look very good just stuck on the dash in the middle!

so my questions are,

would this be a good buy?

most importantly is there any common faults i should look out for?

what sort of MPG could i expect? i do about 50 mile round trip each day. i no they say get a diesel but to be honest i have a diesel (not a BMW) at the moment (and whilst i cant fault the actual MPG of 51.5. the constant barrage of DPF faults, glow plugs snapping in the head etc i dont mind off setting MPG for a more reliable form of transport!

thanks all and would appreciate yal help!

Depends on the spec also in terms of value, i.e alloys,heated seats, sat nav etc..

74K is not to much at all to be worried about tbh, but a 116i on 50 mile round trip wouldn't be cheap, A lot of my mates have different BMW's and most of the petrols struggle for 25/30MPG at best . I have the exact same daily commute (about 50 miles) with mixed motorway and urban and i can do a week on £30 of diesel in a 320D, i did have the 120D for few weeks and being much lighter it was nippier and even cheaper on diesel. DPF's are pain but only if they are not "looked after" . £7k dont seem to bad at all but i begrudge paying endless costs just to drive to work and earn it back lol. Also check all the usual's like exhaust smoke colour etc...

cheers :) i am kind of expecting low to mid 30s mpg wise i am surprised you do a week on £30 in a 320D that is impressive! it cost me about that in my 1.3jtdm alfa mito!

no smoke or rattles but was concerned about timing chain issues but i guess if i keep up with regular service and oil change in between services should be ok

cheers

Your fuel useage will depend on the driving. I get 40 mpg from my 170 bhp 320i M Sport on a run. I rarely use it for short journeys so dont know what it would be like around town. I suspect you will do better than low 30's

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links