Tips On Buying A 320d E90

dan2k7

Hi guys I am looking at getting a 320d E90 for the missus. Can anyone give any pointers on what to watch out for? Heard timing chains can be an issue on 07 cars onwards and do these models have any problems with swirl flaps?

Hi guys I am looking at getting a 320d E90 for the missus. Can anyone give any pointers on what to watch out for? Heard timing chains can be an issue on 07 cars onwards and do these models have any problems with swirl flaps?

later models don't have the swirl flap issues but almost all the 2.0L diesels (N47) have timing chain issues, mine had to be changed about at about 100K. just depends on milage , if i was to buy my car again id check for timing chain rattling and you also wanna consider that about 100K or there abouts (which most 2007-2009 N47's are at)

theres 3 expensive jobs around 100K mark and upwards that are sort of "due"

Turbo failure

DPF failure

Timing Chain Failure

Not to put you off lol . My car is now at 109K and so far only had timing chain changed , but i do regular motor way trips, change oil every 10K at least etc.. and its in great nick though i do have a 2 year warranty for turbo failure.

Main thing unique to these engines though is the timing chain, as they are mounted at the rear of the engine its very labour intensive to change them, the cheapest i cold get mine changed for was £1400, and if you don't get it changed when it rattles and it eventually snaps on you.. pretty much game over in terms of engine rebuild costs.

Very economical and torquey engines though and good fun to drive, hope this info helps

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links