Lacquer Peeling After Service And Clean

robsawyer73

Hi All,

We recently took our 2011 116i 'Performance Edition' to Bluebell Crewe to have new tyres fitted (yes, they were expensive but were the only tyres of that size available in the UK - for some reason Bridgestone have stopped making them) and upon returning we found the wheel centres were absolutely mashed and the lacquer was peeling as per the attached photos'.

I have contacted Bluebell and they were dismissive and arrogant (welcome to BMW dealers) and indicated that they thought I'd had a cheap re-cover and it was peeling, either that it was down to corrosion - the pictures are pretty clear that there is no corrosion - the car is only 3 1/2 yrs old!

After some reading on line I find that using some highly alkaline cleaners can affect both wheel hubs and wheel lacquer leading to peeling. I have evidence of both but BMW refuse to discuss it absolving themselves of all responsibility - does anyone on the forum or in the club have similar experience?

Any comments would be welcome.

Regards

Rob

Lacquer Stripping.pdf

I can understandyour frustration however I cannot see how changing the tyres would have caused that. The peeling does not look like it is the result of damage from scratching or chipping. It does look like a poor laquer finish to me peeling from the inside of the wheel.

Its definately not caused by corrosion as you have pointed out and can only be as a result of a poor coating of laquer imo. Someone else may have a different point of view however.

Hi Bruce

Sorry, perhaps reading back I wasn't clear. The damage is not the result of having the tyres changed - that was just the reason I was there (although you should see the scrapes where they removed the tyres, they have agreed to remedy both front wheels because of the damage caused there)

My personal belief is that when giving it the post work clean up BMW have used a highly acidic or alkaline wheel cleaner that they have left on for over the proscribed time (you see the peeling is in the wells where the liquid would tend to gather). It is typical for dealers to use these as they tend to be the quickest way of cleaning stubborn brake dust - and in commercial operations time is money!

I wanted to know really if anyone has suffered a similar sort of peeling - not the normal pitting and paint blistering.

I see what you mean. It certainly sounds plausible but not something I have experienced. I wont let anyone else clean any part of my cars. I dont trust anyone enough.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links