Questions, Questions!

I've had my 2001 318i manual se touring for a couple of days now and have a problem.

The previous owner - not the particularly bright sort - told me that he had the tailgate glass replaced recently (he only had the car since December 2014) and since then the key fob does not work, so no remote alarm-set/central lock functions. Obviously I can still lock it securely via the drivers door, so I'm hoping its a simple fix. Ideas chaps?

Secondly, I have noticed that the fan in the auto climate control pulses (approx 1 second bursts with a 1second gap) all the time unless I override it to fastest speed. Is this normal?

Otherwise what I have purchased seems to be an exceptionally clean, tidy and sweet running little car.

A funny moment when I was buying the car and prompted the uncharitable comment above:

He was presenting the interior and eventually found the hatch that contains the jack/hazard triangle etc and suddenly uttered a choice Anglo-Saxon oath. He had installed a new Kenwood radio/cd player without knowing the car has a multi changer hidden away in that very compartment!

No matter, he let me have the new and the original units anyway!

So, the car's done over 100k miles and still feels like new. Unlike my V series Volvo which has just been taken out and shot.

The flat spoke alloy wheels are the only part that have not aged as well but I'm sure there will be suggestions as to how I can remedy that.

Not sure if this is the same type of key on yours but have a look at this video for programming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YcFN3Ns0yI&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1

I dont know why your fan is pulsing on climate control. Its definately not right. It may be something to do with one of the sensors or the system needs resetting or the module needs replacing.

There are a few companies around that offer services to refurbish your alloys. Should cost a round £50 each.

Thanks!

My local garage has a lot of 3 series experience and the owner, a mate, said the batteries only last for so long then they just refuse the charge while in use. of course its non replaceable and of course its gonna cost over £200 for each replacement.

I'll look into the fan issue once I've found a decent workshop manual.

Its funny how sometimes cars don't like changing hands and take a while for silly niggles to settle down.

My wipers for instance. S'morning I used them and they had : delay, delay and speed 1. Didn't matter how many times I waggled the stalk. Then when I got back home tried again and got: delay, speed 1, speed 2 as should be.

Funny old things cars

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links