Egr Stuck

peacheyd

Hi all,

New member and new bmw owner, just got myself a 320D M sport and thought the first thing id do is clean out the EGR as the fuel consumption didn't seem as good as what others are getting (around 42MPG on very conservative driving) . Its an E92 4 cylinder so im pretty sure the EGR is a the front of the engine on the left and has 2 torx screws. After undoing these i couldn't for the life of me get the valve off. Am i missing something or could carbon build up have stuck it together and if so does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks

Dave

Hi Dave

EGR valve is pretty visible from front of engine. Get it out and as we discussed before; carb cleaner or break cleaner will work wonders. Keep it away from plastics/rubbers though, no cleaning hoses with that stuff :blink:

Use this diagram alongside google images to identify exactly waht ya after then go at it with a socket set

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=WD12&mospid=50161&btnr=11_4258&hg=11&fg=50

Daz

Darren ello mate,

Went home with your advice but my problem is i cant get the valve off, its stuck pretty damn tight, even tried light taps with a hammer to loosen it, wasn't sure about using penetrating oil incase it got into the valve.

Hey Dave,

As long as those 2 hex bolts are out and nothing is blocking it from being pulled out, it should become free. You should not need any lubes as if it is caked with carbon, that's all internal and should not effect being able to pull it out.

Bring some tools in with you on Saturday/Sunday (if you're in) and I'll have a crack at it. I would bring my own but in car transition so won't have my motor with me

You had a look at the YouTube vids to see if you can derive a method from them?

Daz

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links