E46 300Ci Vert - Roof Problem

smellvetica

Hello guys,

I've had a problem with the roof up/down, I'm sure you've all seen it before. But I'm at a point of literally pulling my hair out. I've got to get a fix for this seeing as the weather's so good.

Roof down

The roof unclicks, back rises ok, lid opens (occasionally catches the hood) then doesn't seem to have enough 'energy' to pull the second wave or retraction back, gentle push sends it on it's way with the help of gravity. Lid closes, roof is tucked away.

Roof up

Lid opens ok, it doesn't have enough energy to rise to the half way point so I'm usually closing it with the key in the driver door and giving the hood a helping pull up to get to the 50% mark, then it closes ok.

I've checked the hydraulic reservoir it seems to be a tiny bit over max when the hood is stowed away as per the filling info from e46 fanatics and the bimmerforums.

The motor wines a fair bit, sometimes it takes a double press of the button on the dash to get her going. I don't think there's any visible splits in the lines, I'm guessing the motor could be on it's way or it's not engaging somewhere in the mechanical operation.

I've attached a few photos of the reservoir. Does it look like there's too much in there? Also it looks like a leak a long time ago around the allen key screw.

Any ideas are very welcome as are any links or contact details to guys you trust to take a look at it without enduring the usual OTT charges to diagnose.

Thanks in advance.

Roof Down (Stowed Away)

post-6665-0-13232400-1407612128_thumb.jp

Roof Up

post-6665-0-49158900-1407612128_thumb.jp

I would be checking the correct pipes are in the correct places on the hydraulic pump, top and side should be numbered (if someone has bodged it before this might not be the case), also checking all cables are free to move and not snagging or stretched.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links