Multifunction Steering Wheel Trim Cover Peeling.

V8johnboy

Hey gang iv'e just noticed the paint around my steering wheel buttons is starting to peel off its nothing major at this stage but will no doubt only get worse. <_<

Iv'e heard of this carbon fibre wrap stuff which looks like a decent fix?? What i would like to know is how tricky is it to remove the cover (pic below) im not a complete dimwit but always get a little nervous with this kind of thing. :blink: If there is an alternative solution ie some sort of paint im all ears I assumed the wrap would be a little more solid a fix long term.

mFD7oNZX4kub_fh1IAS0nKA.jpg

Thanks in advance'

John.x

Hi John its a fault with a BMW steering wheel covers, give it a good rub down with a piece of scothbrite all over, de grease it, let it dry then a few light coats of matt black aerosol, comes up nice and will last a few years with care.

Stephen

Thanks Stephen presumably i can do this without removing the cover? As long as i mask everything up. :wacko:

The smart repair guy we use does them in place but bear in mind he uses a very low pressure air pencil, its not going to be easy to use an aerosol in a confined space and get even coatings and no runs, probably best to remove it for prepping and painting.

Stephen

The smart repair guy we use does them in place but bear in mind he uses a very low pressure air pencil, its not going to be easy to use an aerosol in a confined space and get even coatings and no runs, probably best to remove it for prepping and painting.

Stephen

Ah ok any idea how straight forward removal is mate sorry.

I think if memory serves me correctly that on an E90 the plastic cover slips past the airbag by taking out 3 T20 screws located from behind the steering wheel, they are located at 3 oclock, 6 oclock and 9 oclock., not difficult just a fiddle.

Stephen

That's great thanks for your help sir. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links