Nitrogen

Chippy

Hi guys Not posted for a while but I thought you should be informed I had a small screw in my rear tyre so went to Kwick fit on Sunday afternoon, puncture repaired I was offered reflation of nitrogen at an extra £1.50, well air planes and F1 cars why not me . He explained that same pressures applies benefits are longer tyre life ( I took that with a pinch of salt ) But as nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen, gasses escape slower through the tyre walls /valve or slow punctures claiming that a possible 1PSI a month will escape compared to air so the tyre should last longer because its inflated correctly for longer ,also nitrogen has no moisture content so no internal corrosion of the rim.so I had the other tyres deflated and gassed up, its going to be the way to go apparently BMW must be aware of this so why not standard on our new cars!!

So while were on the subject of wheels I require a spare 18inch ally wheel with just legal tread as a get me home spare,, money waiting, maybe you've got 4 Im sure 3 others need a spare after junking run flats, those space savers are hugely over priced £200+ Please contact me on 07795422420 if you've got one Regards Mick.

• 2 weeks later...

please note, nitrogen is used in air plane tyres and F1 cars because it is not affected by temperature. as such the plane tyres don't suffer at altitude where its cold and F1 tyres don't change profile under the extreme temperatures that they get too. your car tyre will never get to those extremes. as far as air is concerned, it is already 78% nitrogen, its just not worth the extra money. as for moisture, most if not all moister is removed by coalescent filters in air compressor systems and the rest is taken by the heat of the compressor when in use. in my opinion the extra charge for inflating your ordinary car tyre with nitrogen is not worth the extra cash. I am a veteran of 30 yrs in the industrial gases business.

Thanks Simon I think the point I was making was I'm about to travel up to the Lake District in a week it's about 175 miles or so all at speed two up plus dog and luggage and her hair dryer and your right about the temperature bit and that's the point arriving with cool tyres means they did not reach the possible air increase of up too 5/7 psi so possibly reduced tyre wear that's about all really any thing these days to save beer money Regards Chippy.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links