Technically An Impostor - Sorry!

Melissa

Please don't all rush to abuse me! I've just landed a new job in my local BMW dealership and I'm trying to brush up as much as I can. I figured you'd all be the best brains to pick about general information on the models, specs etc. I've obviously been given all the brochures to read up on before I start, but any other 'insider' info would be great.

Thank you!

Melissa

Guest jeffthro

Welcome, Melissa. We won't abuse you, promise. We're a "Grown Up" Club, (Mostly!) and very respectful of our lady members and friends. After all, we all have one thing in common, our love of all things BMW.

Having said that, I'm not too sure how we can help you much more than the brochures you've been given, presumably for current new models. You can have a good whiz round the different forums, but you'll find a lot of techy problems Q and A, various ownership issues and a lot of advice on buying older models. And, of course, we are all terribly biased about how great our BMWs' are, which I suppose is the best bit if you're earning your living selling them.

Very Best Wishes in your new job. We'd all love a job selling Beemers!

Thank you all for being so nice!

My job will be within the Military branch in the UK, Sales not Parts I'm afraid - so no discounts this time. The brochures are good but don't give enough detail for a novice! I don't want to feel out of my depth; the Sales Director who I had my second interview with said that because I'm a young female I'll have to know the cars 10000x better than the customers. Some can be quite chauvinistic apparently and will assume I know nothing, which is true at the moment! Any advice on how to absorb as much as possible would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

Guest jeffthro

Well, Melissa, you need to get up to speed, PDQ! Personally, I think you need to get into W H Smiths and buy copies of What Car? Which Car? Car Buyers Guide and, if there is such a thing which I think there is, BMW Magazine. And read, read, read. Theres no short cuts, you've got to get the lot into your head as soon as possible. And then, as a sort of revision test, get a friend/boyfriend/girlfriend to sit, read through the same pages, and then ask questions. "I've got a Vw Golf at the moment which I'm quite happy with, but I'm quite tempted by the latest BMW Series 1, can you tell me about the various options available and why I'll like it above my golf?" "Considering my town/motorway/rural use and expected mileage, which engine would you recommend?" "Diesel or petrol do you think?" "What extras are available?" Make it difficult for yourself in private, it will help your confidence enormously when you go public. Don't be afraid to ask colleagues if you need too, but only when you need to, don't make a habit of it. Make sure you thoroughly understand how your company operates in all respects that will affect your position. For Example, valuing P/X, Finance (that's a minefield!), discounts, deals, vehicle collection and or delivery, etc.

(And yes, I used to be in Management Consultancy, this would have cost you a lot of money a few years ago.) :)

Melissa you have a steep learning curve ahead & i hope your "into cars" to get through it! Girls usually hit the books more than us blokes..we never read instructions for flat pack ikea furniture as just an example...or the kettle..but we all get a little errrr An*l about specs on cars. I would say female customers will be the worst!

If your a natural to suss people out then this one thing may help you more than outright knowledge! Turn the table`s on them as your the one with so many products to choose from. Blag it a little by running through specs with them.You learn as you search for them,They will come in with an idea of what they want but as Jeffthro..pre Merlot said.....What do they really NEED/WANT/LIKE about a car? Lust or Marriage? The one that makes no sense but "you gotta have it"(Mspec) or the one to go the distance with(diesel & cloth) lol.

Discounts finance rates mpg tax brackets are things people look at first before leather & Harmon Kardon so learn your company rules as much as car spec. 1in ten maybe a pain but most will be excited like kids in a sweet shop looking at brand new cars. Our salesmen used to show lots of photo`s of the best & work down as people always want the top model but compromise on what they can afford. Usually nice wheels & metallic paint. Make it fun for them to choose from the spec goodies you can show them.Just hope you dont get the know it all straight away!

Good luck & i hope it all goes well for you!

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links