Hit A Deep Puddle Earlier, Now Engine Clunking And Managment Light On

Oli

I was on my way to drop someone off earlier and drove though a deep puddle which I didn't spot at about 50mph. Thought nothing off it, dropped the person off and drove back home 6 miles with no issues.

I have returned to the car about 3 hours later and when starting the engine the engine managment light was flashing and the engine was rumbling below 2K revs. I stopped and started the car a few times now the engine managment light is constant. I took it round the block and it feels there is a major engine issue. The engine does not sound right, it almost sounds clicky.

Can anyone advise me what to do next, or what it might be?

Cheers

Oli

Guest Mr.Beemer

I would say you got some water/damp on your spark ignition system.

you can try clean it up & leave the engine running hot hoping it cures the fault.

this rainfall has been coming down heavy lately :ph34r:

That code comes back to a missfire. I believe your engine is not running on all it's cylinders which is 4.

First thing I would do is expose the coil(s) and examine for water. Get rid of any moisture you find.

During this, open anything that can be opened under the bonnet. Airbox, battery cover if there is one, fusebox, etc. etc... and get everything nice and dry.

As dilly stated, run it for a while and hopefully the heat from the engine will help.

Daz

Thanks guys. This one didn't seem to fix itself by running the engine by itself. Got a mechanic on the way this evening, he's just rebuilt a 325 from a write off so I trust he knows his s#!t! I'll keep you updated.

Watch those puddles people!!!

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links