E46 M3 Diff Clunking Sound Only Now An Again??

Dizgav

Hi all iv got a clunking sound now and again when in gear and slowly let out the clutch I get a clunk coming from the back end I assum it's the diff. It had a inspection 2 service in august and done 3000 miles from service I no the diff oil was changed etc any help would be welcom!?!

I wouldn't say it's diff straight away although, lets hope it isn't as it being an M3, it's an LSD so.... moneyz.

First thing you need to do is get yourself under there [insert obvious safety advice] and start pulling and prying at things. The FIRST thing I would be poking at would be the prop-shaft bearing. When you change gears, the torque spikes causing all sorts of off vibrations to that bearing so the noise could be coming from there! Not the end of the world if it is, just change it. Bit of a pain in the toe but overall quite linear to do yourself.

Diff mounts as dily said of course. Worth a check.

ALL rubber under there. Pull at it all and inspect movemt. Any movement you can cause with your hands and/or a prybar needs attention. M3 should be firm!

When you change gears, movement is present from the transmission so inspect tran mounts to. If the movement is quite severe, it will cause the exhaust to knock on the tran. How do I know this? Happened to me. EXACT symptoms you have described, solved with new tran rubbers :)

Keep us posted

Daz

Good news!!!!

Had a look the other day found a little movement on the diff,replaced the mounts hay presto fixed no clunk, I'm no mechanic but damm, I did it in no time at all,with a very small tool box easy....

Thanks for all the support guys!!!!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links