Self Fitting An Alternator Belt

Guest jeffthro

Guest jeffthro

I'm a great one for leaving things to the last minute, me. I bought my 328 a month ago, I knew it could do with a good service, but I've struggled timewise and only managed an oil and filter change and anti-freeze check up to now. I'm off up the M3 to London on monday, staying with our eldest daughter and Nissan 370Z owning partner (bast**rd), lol, and I just thought I ought to do the alternator belt. (on my 328, not the Nissan). I guess theres no timing or anything to worry about being just alternator/water pump/power steering, is it a job I can do in an hour or so sunday morning without too much hassle? Easy to get at, etc??? I must be honest, I haven't even had a look, and the weather here is dreadful at the mo., so I'm being a bit lazy, but I'm just off up to Halfrauds and would appreciate some encouragement! :P

P.S. year 2000, 328 CI se coupe.

Pretty straight forward. Just the one belt with no timing to consider

The E46 cars are a little more difficult to access than the previous gen E36 but, you should be able to handle it. Will most likely need a nice amount of access from underneath to release the tensioner. Hopefully you wont have to drag the rad out, I'm not sure exactly how the 2.8 sits in the Ci chassis...

If your car has aircon, the belt may differ..........

Guest jeffthro

Thanks for that, I'm going down to the warehouse that I work at in the morning, so will be warm and dry and can get some space underneath ok. I'm not gonna have time for a rad out jobbie tho, so will hope for the best on that one. My handbook indicates there are two belts --- both ribbed, 6 x 1538 for water pump/alternator/power steering and 5 x 863 for air con compressor??? I've got a 6 x 1538 which is my concern for now, hope this is right that there are two separate belts? I still haven't had a recce under the bonnet, its peeing down and getting dark now, so its fingers crossed for the morning, I'm afraid.

Thanks for that, I'm going down to the warehouse that I work at in the morning, so will be warm and dry and can get some space underneath ok. I'm not gonna have time for a rad out jobbie tho, so will hope for the best on that one. My handbook indicates there are two belts --- both ribbed, 6 x 1538 for water pump/alternator/power steering and 5 x 863 for air con compressor??? I've got a 6 x 1538 which is my concern for now, hope this is right that there are two separate belts? I still haven't had a recce under the bonnet, its peeing down and getting dark now, so its fingers crossed for the morning, I'm afraid.

Two belts does sound right and both will have different variables.

What one is what, Not to sure. Maybe someone who has a car similar to yours might know or be able to check theirs for comparison

Guest Mr.Beemer

I am sure its one long belt that goes all around the aux parts.

undo the tensioner & its should slip off. it can be done without taking the radiator out but will have less space.

just remember how the belt was on before correctly.

I love the purr sound of your engine - ;)

Guest jeffthro

Thanks for the help and advice, gents. Good News! Got down the warehouse this morning, had a good look, and I consider all is well for the time being. There are two belts, shorter one for air con, longer one for everything else. Both look in reasonable nick, no fraying and no perishing or cracking of the ribbed rubber. Plus agree, they look relatively straightforward to get to when needed, and rad, although quite close with the fans, there is just enough space for removal and refit. So if you are going along the M3 tomorrow afternoon and see a dark blue broken down BMW, stop and help me!!!!

Probably won't be on here again for a few days now, so BEST WISHES TO EVERYONE FOR A HAPPY AND PEACEFUL XMAS, ESPECIALLY DAZH, DILLY AND JIM(SIR!). Jeff

Guest jeffthro

Hi All, I'm back in lovely soaky floaty Dorset, safe and sound!

The slightly rusty but tremendously trusty 328 has been a perfect companion, love her. Not missed a beat over something like 400 miles, over 35 mpg, even a fair bit of stop start around London.

Only gone German about 5 weeks, but I've got to say my Primera GT days, loved them as I did, seem a distant memory now. ;)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links