Ticking Sound On Start Up

gavster86

Hi I have a e46 and sometimes not all the time when I start it up I get this horrible click click sound about 4 clicks then it runs just fine..? Sounds like tapets but after a second the noise goes and the car runs like a dream...is it something to worry about it?

Guest Mister Dabsy

It will be the tappets... Oil has drained to the sump (natural gravity) and oil in the top of the cam followers (tappets if you like) has done the same. They need replacing but if you can live with it, it won't hurt !!

Yeah it is literally a few seconds then it stops and runs just fine...bit worried it was something to do with timing (a mechanic said) but I didnt trust his diagnosis...if its not going to damage the car il probs just leave it for now ;-) thanks for the advice mate

Guest Mister Dabsy

Yeah it is literally a few seconds then it stops and runs just fine...bit worried it was something to do with timing (a mechanic said) but I didnt trust his diagnosis...if its not going to damage the car il probs just leave it for now ;-) thanks for the advice mate

The "tick" disappears when oil-pressure is obtained, not a bad thing... just annoying sometimes !

Oh, and find a new mechanic ! :lol:

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links