Hi All, Looking For Hints And Tips For My 320D

Twitch

Hi all, I have a 320d 2004 plate that has an annoying fault. The airbag warning light keeps coming on intermittently whenever our lass sits in the passenger seat. As she is only 8 stone in weight, could it be just because she is light as it doesn't happen when my fat mates sit there. I cannot see any obvious damage to wiring on the sensor so any advice would be really grateful, cheers.

Guest DazH

Yeah, the sensor runs the length of the seats base. I removed one from a Mercedes not to long ago but... ended up ripping the seat to pieces to get to it. Only removed it due to curiosity.

It may be worth getting the whole seat replaced if there is no easy way to get to it. I dunno...

Lets get it diagnosed as the seat sensor being at fault first eh?

Had the ECU scanned for fault codes?

Daz

Guest Mister Dabsy

No need to ask if it goes in for service ;)

BUT... Hang around, they might conveniently find a "ghost" in the codes !!

Found this on another forum, don't know if it helps?

Surprised they could not find what was wrong because I can tell you exactly what is wrong icon_smile.gif

The older E46 saloons had a fault where either the passenger presence airbag mat would fail randomly or the airbag loom under the seat would break/corrode at the connections resulting in the airbag light being turned on.

I'm betting it's the mat though because of the loom had failed the light would come on and stay on until manually reset.

Airbag mats are around £60 give or take and when I had my old saloon in at a Indy (Autotechnik, Fareham)they quoted me £96 for a replacement mat inc fitting.

Guest Mister Dabsy

Found this on another forum, don't know if it helps?

Surprised they could not find what was wrong because I can tell you exactly what is wrong icon_smile.gif

The older E46 saloons had a fault where either the passenger presence airbag mat would fail randomly or the airbag loom under the seat would break/corrode at the connections resulting in the airbag light being turned on.

I'm betting it's the mat though because of the loom had failed the light would come on and stay on until manually reset.

Airbag mats are around £60 give or take and when I had my old saloon in at a Indy (Autotechnik, Fareham)they quoted me £96 for a replacement mat inc fitting.

^^ Thats "Theft"... (and occurs in ALL cars with "Occupancy sensors/mats") :o :P

Welcome aboard matey ;)

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links