Hello,

I have jut bought a 1998 1.9 Z3 as a weekend summer car, its bl00dy lovely.

I do have a couple of small issues that maybe someone can help with...

1. Electric Passenger seat goes back/forward, but not up and down?
  2. The alarm fob wont work, but the key in the door still locks both doors...does this still activate the alarm/immobiliser (the light works on the fob when you press the buttons)?
  3. Front passenger headlight has dropped slightly, when I checked the two plastic hanging hooks had snapped, can these be bought seperatly?
  4. Driver Seat moves back and forth slightly?
  5. Does the button on the car key when pressed do anything?

Apart from that I am really happy with it...

Cheers,

Jason

Hello, glad you're happy! :D I love Z3s

1. The control for the up and down should be on the same fuse so if one works and the other don't, It may be the actual switch itself. Can you pull it out from the plastic it sits in? If so, you can swap test with it something else in the car..

2. If the LED works on the fob, it has most likely lost it's programming to the car. As for the alarm, I'm not too sure. Someone else should be able to help with that.

3. Is it the two screw holes at the top of the headlight unit itself like in this diagram?

30.png

4. The seat is held down to the floor with 4 Torx bolts. 2 on the front, 2 behind. They are sometimes covered by little plastic inserts that just pop off. See if there is any movement in the bolts. If not and they are tight, it's the seat mechanism it's self that is faulty. Basically, the runners have most likely failed. New driver's seat. No big deal.

5. What.. button... ? Google BMW Z3 key and post a picture of the key you have and explain what button you mean.

All the best,

Daz

Hi Daz,

most helpful, thanks....i googled the seat issue with the rocking and some wrote you can put a 1p in the runners and it stops it...also they get stuck so the up and down does not work...spray WD40 on it and let it soak in..???

The two hooks on the diagram are with the little 'V' section on top, they have snapped off...can these be bought and replaced or is it a headlight change over?

The button on the key is the one on the actual BMW key itself, when you press it the little light comes on in the actual key (like a night light to find the lock)

Cheers for your Help

Jase

Hey Jason,

If the penny trick works for you, give it a go! :)

I think I know what you mean by the "V" section. If it is what I think it is, that is apart of the structural plastic molding which means that if they are snapped, you would need to change the entire headlight over to solve it. Please look at THIS diagram and let me know if I'm on the same page as you..

z3vv.jpg

The light on the key is for what you guessed it was for. A small "Useless" LED torch to help you find the keyhole.

Daz

Hi Daz,

you are 100% right, its the plastic clips you ringed....I thought I would have to change the headlight...blast...there might be a way for somehow support or fixing them..

thanks for all your help mate,

Jase

Hi Daz,

you are 100% right, its the plastic clips you ringed....I thought I would have to change the headlight...blast...there might be a way for somehow support or fixing them..

thanks for all your help mate,

Jase

There is ALWAYS a way. You just need too use your head and go into Engineer mode. If I was in your position, no doubt I would get a kick out of finding a way of fixing it.

The official solution is to replace though mate..

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links