Z3 (& E36 Compact) Rear Wheel Bearings

eromdar

Hi Guys,

I need to replace the rear wheel bearings on my 1998 316i Compact, the rear suspension of which is taken from the Z3, so...

The ETK (BMW Electronic Parts Catalogue) calls this a 'securing plate' - see attached 33 0458 Side Shaft Wheel Bearings.jpg post-5214-0-58954800-1370862946_thumb.jp and 33 1106 Output Shaft.jpgpost-5214-0-08717900-1370862955_thumb.jp.

The TIS (BMW Technical Information System) callsa this a 'retaining plate' - see attached 33 21 000 Removing and installing or replacing left or right output shaft.jpg.post-5214-0-10858900-1370863334_thumb.jp

It is a cup-type washer located deep inside the hub over the nut that retains the hub to the half-shaft.

The TIS simply says 'lift out the retaining plate', but being so deeply 'buried' it is extremely difficult to get a tool in to lever it out. There's no mention of a special tool to remove it and the special tool to insert it seems to be a simple drift.

So, can anyone tell me how to 'lift' it out?

Much appreciated.

The ETK is showing the CV joint more than the actual bearing. The bearing would of been "Pressed" in. Use a hydraulic/Shop press to push a nice chunky socket through the hub to remove the bearing assembly.

Follow the TIS but incorporate the Press into your workings

Daz

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links