Long.... Long Drive

Guest DazH

Hey BMW NutNuts,

Driving to Turkey in a couple of months. Hit Europe like a mofo. Ganna buy a cheap Diesel motor to get us there and back in.

Possible runners:

Mercedes W202 Diesel 2.2Ltr Like this one:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201210454705242/sort/priceasc/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/model/c_class/make/mercedes-benz/postcode/se15pf/radius/100/page/1?logcode=p

Land Rover Discovery 200 2.5Ltr TDi Like this one:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201211456062997/sort/priceasc/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/make/land_rover/postcode/se15pf/radius/1500/page/1?logcode=p

Pros. Cons. Suggestions. Opinions. All Wanted. Would LOVE some further car options and some links!

Budget is as cheap as possible as plan is to give a FULL service before hand (Waterpump, brakes, plugs etc). Going to bring spares on the trip. roughly 4k miles round trip. Don't care about mileage. No BMWs selected as realistically, All going to have Turbo and it pushes my Insurance up (Being 22). Strangely enough, The Turbo 4x4 brings it down LOL Strange...

Daz

Mercedes all day long, had a few discoverys although i like em, not the most reliable also do about 28 30 tops MPG....Had 2 mercs and never had a days problem with them plus the mpg is much better.......

-1 discovery all day! Thats cheap at that money too! Hold their money,the 200tdi is bullet proof.yes the gear box sings a song and they clunk around but you WILL get there!

I say all the above as I own a disco,it rlad my dastle race box every year to Italy without a hic up. Shame about the British leyland wiring.

Also as I do alot if miles on the wrong side of the road.i would spend 600 quid on a good e36 318 roads are so much better in western europe.a 318 on a run will do a steady 40 to the gallon plus petrol is cheaper so for me,id be buying a petrol 3 series.

Honestly my disco has been fantastic!! For some reason I have it in my head that daz has a e34. If so why not just take that? You already own it and you already know if it has any faults.

Had a few discos... cheap to run but always something going wrong... like i say i always like the disco ut dont think i would want to chance one for that sort of mileage...if we was talking off roading then a disco allday long... also the govermant emissions exclusion zones are now going to be within the M25 and the discos upto TD5 wont pass it...only a td5 on will pass the emmissions so for me i only live 3 miles from the m25, so if i had a disco 200 i would have to drive it upto the m25 then change cars ....lol...

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links