Mini Cooper D N47 Engine

escovedo

Hello everyone,

My daughters 2011 Mini Cooper d (n47 engine) has recently developed what seems to be

a timing chain rattle at idle revs (850 rpm) which goes away as the revs rise above 1000 rpm

strangely when the serpentine drive belt is removed there is no rattle whatsoever?

Can anyone advise on this problem.

how sure are you that its a chain rattle? could be a pulley or water pump or something if its ok after the belt is removed

didn't know they put the N47 in minis, i thought 2011 the chain issue was relatively resolved. how many miles has it done?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I too own a Mini Countryman with the N47 1.6 Diesel engine in.

Ours has 15,000 miles on the clock, its made this noise since we had it at around 7000 miles.

Here is a video, hopefully you have the same noise and i'll finally have found someone that has the same problem!

It's been in to the dealers numerous times but they just say its a characteristic of the injectors under load. Thing is, it doesn't do it all the time so it can't be when they are under load because surely it would do it every time?

Now, the warranty is due to run out in October so I've booked it in again and pushed to get a drive of another similar age Countryman Cooper D to see if the same noise occurs.
I think it makes the engine sound so un-refined and much like a very old Land Rover or early 90's Peugeot diesel, I'm sure I've not heard any other Cooper D making this noise when I've seen them around...

It only happens at low revs, say when pulling away from stand still in first - also if you're creeping along in second and then ask for more power, it does it then too and gradually disappears as the revs get higher.

Hope someone can help, or at least we can identify if we share the same problem!

The problem was the serpentine belt supplied by a local parts shop

turned out to be to long allowing the belt tensioner to rattle on its stop

once the correct length belt was fitted the problem was solved.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add back to this one. It went into the dealers again with no joy. They said it's just diesel knock and took me out in another Cooper D Countryman which did in fact produce the same noise. Albeit quieter than mine.

So, with the car now being out of warranty I decided to buy some Millers EcoMax Diesel treatment and popped a measure into the existing tank of BP standard diesel (I know, the manual says no additives!)

WOW. Within about 10 miles of driving the noise has about 99% disappeared. I'm so pleased!
I now have a feeling my problem was either something to do with the Cetane rating of the BP/Shell standard fuel I was using or some crud on my injectors.

Hope this helps anyone.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links