'94 E36 Still Won't Start

UPDATE FROM 03/12/12

It still wont start. Changed the Crankshaft, Camshaft and Coolant Temperature sensors (again) all were showing fault codes. Cleaned the Maf Sensor (and tried to start the car with it unplugged and plugged in) Checked the timing and its OK. Put in new plugs, Bosch R6. Plug leads look OK. Visually inspected for any air leaks, looks OK but can't check properly until the engine is running.Tried the coils in different positions.

Tried again this morning. Cranks over but fires intermittently and plugs soaked in petrol.

One thing I did notice was three of the plugs were black and sooty, the other three were clean.

Any ideas anyone? This is driving me bonkers.

Swap a few relays round see what happens, this my just be a poor sticky relay.

Your 100% you have sparks?

Maybe a compression test? Testers can be found quite cheap on Ebay at the moment.

Gav. What relays should I try? I will be investigating the plugs over the weekend and I plan to borrow a compression tester. But wouldn't it show other symptoms if the compression was low? It drives like a rocket (when its running!) + separate coils, six of them.

Y13HYA. Iv'e tried swopping the coils around. Still no difference.

BigAl. Haven,t got around to that yet.

I'll keep you all posted on any updates.

Thanks for replying Fellas.

Guest Mister Dabsy

After you have swapped coil packs around, is it the same pots that are soaked or does the symptom follow the coil packs?

You need to mark each coil-pack before you swap about then they can be either eliminated or the cause ;)

That alone should help...

If it doesn't then maybe try a spare ECU !

(It is deffo only running on 3 pots, the choked-up ones are because you're trying to bring her alive with the accelerator)

Let us know 'n we can move onto another solution... ;)

After you have swapped coil packs around, is it the same pots that are soaked or does the symptom follow the coil packs?

You need to mark each coil-pack before you swap about then they can be either eliminated or the cause ;)

That alone should help...

If it doesn't then maybe try a spare ECU !

(It is deffo only running on 3 pots, the choked-up ones are because you're trying to bring her alive with the accelerator)

Let us know 'n we can move onto another solution... ;)

Yea, I'll give that a go. Cheers.

Right Chaps an update.

Tried another Crank Sensor as it kept coming up as a fault code. No change.

Tested all six plugs for a spark using a plug tester and there is no spark at numbers 1 + 6. Tried swopping the plugs around, they all fire but not in 1 + 6.

Swopped coils again same result, the problem is with these two cylinders. When it stops raining ill try and trace the leads and see if I can see anything amiss, but I have no idea where they go.

As for checking the relays, I have no idea how to.

Are any of the relays the same so I could just swop them over to check?

I doubt it's relays now though from the info you given, but try relay 2 as I'm no sure what this does

Ill give that a go. I'm getting 12v at all the coil plugs with the ignition turned on. Iv'e taken out the ecu and will test to see if I have continuity to the coils (when its stops raining) on the other terminals, there are three on each plug,

Guest Mister Dabsy

Pots 1 and 6 are at TDC at the same time, wondering if one of them is trying to spark on exhaust stroke :wacko:

(Just a thought) !!

Yea could be as I have had a few backfires when trying to start it.

Iv'e got someone trying to borrow another ECU to see if that makes any difference. When I took it out, there was some water in the compartment but the ECU looks dry, terminals look OK.

I tried to test for continuity between the ECU plug and the coils but get a reading on nearly all the terminals. No pattern at all.

I'm just going to wait to see if I can get the borrowed ECU.

I tried another ECU and it still had the same problem. I can't think of anything else to try and so I'm selling it to my mechanic.

Both of us have been trying for nearly two months to solve this but now Iv'e had enough. Shame, that was my pride and joy.

Anyway, thanks to everybody who tried to help me, I really appreciated all your suggestions.

Cheers All

Steve

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links