Manual Or Auto/tiptronic?

Hennessy_330i

32 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer a manual or auto box?

• Manual
    • Auto/Tiptronic

Ok, so this may have been covered before but I'm new so I can be forgiven. :D

So, basically... manual or Auto/Tiptronic? TBH I'm on the fence on this one but which is better? Loads of people tell me "manual is better, as you have more feel and when you're racing around its better" but others love the comfort and ease of auto.

YOU DECIDE

All depends on the motor in my opinion.

E38 750il = I WOULD ONLY WANT Auto

E46 M3 = I WOULD ONLY WANT Manual

I will base my poll answer on something neutral like a E90 320i. My opinion would be Manual

• 1 month later...
Guest Mister Dabsy

Steptronic/Tiptronic on anything 2.8 and above (5/6/7 series), smaller 1/3 series should stay manual... Sounds like I'm sitting on the fence but the larger vehicles don't drive too well with Manual boxes !

• 3 weeks later...

I have just bought an X5 tiptronic. Until now I have never been a fan of auto's, "too slow, thirsty, boring". 1 week on I am converted!! When you are stuck in traffic, bung it in auto. On the open road I am delighted with the tiptronic but am still forgetting if its push or pull for up or down gear!!

My beloved M-Tech 328i, which had most of M3 go faster mods ie suspension, intakes, exhaust and lsd rear axle, was magic with the M3 manual gearbox and I dont think it would have suited auto but the X5 really does so I suppose it depends on the car,

(either that or I am getting past it!!)

cheers crofter

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I Have a BMW which has Tiptronic gears which is an auto gear box for normal use but if you wish you can push the gear leaver to one side and nudge the gears up or down maually, this also siffens up the suspension I think and changes the gearing to more of a sporty mode. I think the auto box is still cuts in to safety protect the engine. Just drive your new car in auto and give it a try when you feel comfortable just have fun...

-----------------------------

2013 MERCEDES BENZ SL-CLASS

• 5 months later...

I am constantly on the fence about this. When I brought my 330ci the only one I could find with the spec I wanted was an auto and didn't have time to wait it out. I will be honest I do enjoy the auto but I am always wondering if I should have got a manual and contemplating changing but I haven't gone any further with it. I do think my torque converter is in a bad way which could be giving me a bad experience with the auto.

The outcome is that I am 50/50, I enjoy the auto but if I had a choice of the two I dont know which I would pick....

I had the 6 speed ZF auto when I had an E90 320d and with a remap I felt the auto suited the car and the torque curve, in manual mode it was pull back to go up the gears and forwards to go down.

The 5 speed ZF auto on my E39 525i is slightly different in that you have to pull back to go down the gears and nudge it forwards to go up.

The only 5 series model I would want with a manual would be the M5 but with the 5 series being the size it is the auto suits the car more and is a more relaxing drive and it shifts fast enough in sport mode and holds on the gears until 6500rpm.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links