Bmw X5 Security Issue... Important

Guest Mister Dabsy

Guest Mister Dabsy

I have been personally contacted and been given exclusive access to important information regarding the X5 and the potential threat of these vehicles been stolen with quite some ease...

It has always been a known fact that the early X5 and Mini had their Engine and Security modules in the engine bay, this made it very easy to compromise via access to the bonnet through the grilles. Thieves would then replace the unit for a recoded version accompanied with a blank key to steal the car. BMW were made aware of this and recalled the X5 somewhat quietly... The module(s) were relocated into the occupancy area in the hope this would erradicate the issue...

Alas, it did not. The glass was vulnerable in such a way that it wouldn't activate the security system...

Our source has directly contacted BMW to seek assurances that the module(s) be placed more securely AND that tighter checks are done when issuing new "blank" keys - Registration Documents at least.

This issue of stolen X5's (and Mini's) is on the increase in the UK.

I would like all our members to contact their local dealer and request that their vehicle be accepted into the apparent unpublicised Recall...

Guest Mister Dabsy

I can verify this tomorrow, as per "Recall" if this helps anyone...

If anyone has doubts about their X5 or Mini then please PM me with your LAST-SEVEN Vin digits...

DAZ

Guest Mister Dabsy

No Chris, it's easy to open a BMW bonnet - They remove the near-side grille and make a small cut into the cowling to expose the latch !!

Guest Mister Dabsy

Btw - This information is Copyrighted to myself and my source.

Any reproduction to another site must be confirmed by either BMW or myself.

Standard Publishing Disclaimer notification.

Guest Mister Dabsy

(Note to Self) Must keep mi Gob shut so not to encourage smackheads into nicking cars !!

BMW community will be watching the smackheads tonite, and issuing retribution !

Guest Mister Dabsy

Just to add... There was a recall in 2006, which expired some 3yrs later in Spring 2009... Any owner that contacted their dealer AFTER this time could not qualify due to the presumption that the vehicle had changed hands...

"Presumptions" were always at BMW's (Europe) descretion. If, and only if, you can prove you are the sole owner from New, then they will consider a re-fit.

In my opinion this is wrong, but a step in the right direction...

Data obtained (22/03/12) via Sandal...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
On 3/24/2012 at 9:19 PM, Guest Mister Dabsy said:

Just to add... There was a recall in 2006, which expired some 3yrs later in Spring 2009... Any owner that contacted their dealer AFTER this time could not qualify due to the presumption that the vehicle had changed hands...

"Presumptions" were always at BMW's (Europe) descretion. If, and only if, you can prove you are the sole owner from New, then they will consider a re-fit.

In my opinion this is wrong, but a step in the right direction...

Data obtained (22/03/12) via Sandal...

That's a bit naff, my BMW has probably had a few owners but if the vulnerability is still there it's still there no matter how many owners has been through