Running Boards For My X5 E53, 56 Plate

Nicos

Hi,

Just bought my first X5 and it's a great car.

Whilst it's in very good condition, the running boards aluminium cover is tarnished.

Can anyone recommend a good cleaning and/or varnish lacquer to bring them back up .

Or can I buy just the aluminium covers and bolt them onto the existing framework.

Thanks

Welcome Sean, hope someone can point you in the right direction, have you tried duraglit metal polisher, good luck. :D

Thanks - no I haven't tried Duraglit - thanks for the tip.

Hi mate and welcome from the X5 division :-)

I have the same problem with mine I have tried a couple of cleaning products on mine and although they are cleaner there not as I want them .

You can replace just the ally part but to buy new there a fortune

There was a set on eBay that looked nice but pick up only too far from me

Let me know how you get on and if I see a set or find a cleaner that works I in box you

The running board are next on my list when I get back from my holiday on Saturday

• Like 1

I have the same problem with mine I have tried a couple of cleaning products on mine and although they are cleaner there not as I want them .

Let me know how you get on and if I see a set or find a cleaner that works I in box you

The running board are next on my list when I get back from my holiday on Saturday

Hi Christian, thanks for your help mate. The running boards are quite bad, so if I can replace the aluminium covers, then this is probably best. If you can keep your eyes open and if I get to hear of a good cleaner or a good price for the aluminium covers or the complete running boards, then I will let you know.

Cheers

Hi Mate, I tried Autosol over the weekend and the running boards are much better, but still not great.

NB. The car retailer said not to use alloy wheel cleaner, just in case anyone was thinking of doing so - due to acid content - cos its to get rid of brake dust on the alloys etc.

Guest Mister Dabsy

Hi Mate, I tried Autosol over the weekend and the running boards are much better, but still not great.

NB. The car retailer said not to use alloy wheel cleaner, just in case anyone was thinking of doing so - due to acid content - cos its to get rid of brake dust on the alloys etc.

Car Retailer deals in Money only :P

He is right about wheel cleaner...its very acidic don't use it on soft aluminium, it WILL tarnish.

AutoSol is good also Brasso, you prob ruined it with an abrasive brillo pad now though mate.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links