How Did You Find This Site

G4VHD

Hi everybody from the Southern Hemisphere...in Australia....rural city of Albury in New South Wales ( about 300 kms north of Melbourne ) . I'm poised to buy my first BMW here and focused on a second hand X1 up to 2014. However, would welcome feedback from any X1 owners or researchers prior to me putting my money down. Will post in a relevant forum page and hope I can get some answers to my questions or concerns.  Thanks in anticipation... 🙂

Well G'day George

Welcome to the Forum

What engine are you considering there were some well documented timing chain issues with the earlier N47 diesel engines around 2014 they were upgraded not sure of the date Petrol engines seemed OK 

Apart from that the normal checks apply History History History, here in the UK after 3 years there is the annual MOT test which we can also check online showing if any work was required to pass and what was done (or not) also shows "advisories" so you can see what is coming.

All accessories should work (test everything) Gearbox should be smooth and quiet again depending on miles should be serviced, as with all 4x4 tyres should match and be correct sizes all round, mismatched or odd tyres can wreak havoc on the transfer case.

Hope I haven't put you off

Dave

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/29/2011 at 5:25 PM, G4VHD said:

Found it on the internet

Just for our own research, could you please tell us how you found this forum.

If It was by referral from another member, please name and shame 😛

Just now, RobS said:

Getting to know the Navigation System on my M140i seems to be a pain, it's not as straightforward as my old TomTom.

The input address appears awkward, especially if you don't have a house number, any advice?

Morning Robin

Who needs Navigation when you have a car like yours 😁 An Aussie once told your never lost until your below a 1/4 of a tank of gas 🤣

BMW (and a few other German marques) for years never believed in 7-digit post codes? Having said that my E53 (original Nav system) might not believe in 7 digit post codes but it does ask House name or number. My E70 is upgraded to an Android system so I have a choice of Google Maps, Waze or Igo all very quick to program.

My experience of BMW (Volvo and Mercedes for that matter) OEM systems is the input seems laborious compared to many aftermarket systems available

Enjoy that Beemer

Dave

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/29/2011 at 5:25 PM, G4VHD said:

Just for our own research, could you please tell us how you found this forum.

If It was by referral from another member, please name and shame 😛

Searched BMW owner club and wound up here just continuously browsing tips and advice lol

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I found this site using google.  I was trying to find brakes for my 2003 E60 520i 6 cylinder automatic as there are a few options.  I used RealOEM and even that had 2 part numbers for the pads - really frustrating.  I have no idea if the car has ATE or TEVES braking system or what that actually means lol.

I then saw an advert on this site for BMW on ebay - so I have messaged them for quotes using the VIN number.

Fingers and toes are crossed I can get the parts before the 23rd, as a friend has offered the use of their ramp.  The car, despite being 20 years old this year has only just passed 100k miles.

Morning Chris

In Europe I believe ATE and Teves are mainly suppliers of ABS components so as long as they are working with no lights you should be OK 😁

Pads and Disc's I have always used Brembo brake parts on my cars but I have fitted other aftermarket parts for friends and family without any issues

When you found the 2 part numbers on Realoem were they for for front and rear or both front? As there may be an M-sport version or HD brake version often measuring the disc is the best way

Dave

Hi Dave, 

Aha, that makes sense - no lights - just McCoys crisps for discs and post-it-notes for pads - you can see the ripples without cracking knees for a closer look on the front.  I'm kinda petrified the rear calipers are having a holiday - fair amount of meat on those pads - yet tiny shiny 'working area' seen on the rear discs.  I think the lower arms on the front are ready for retirement, with a foot on a front wheel - I can get nearly an inch of movement - if I push my foot towards the a-pillar (front to back movement) and I only weigh 80kg so not tons of force.

I've attached (hopefully) two pictures which might highlight my confusion with brake pad part numbers.

I was aiming to use AutoDoc for the parts as they sell the 'Meyle Link Set' 316 050 0104/HD - which is a replacement kit for the front lower arms and drop links - rather than buying individual parts from Euro's.  With this confusion I have with the brakes, I thought I'd see what the BMW Ebay Team can do for the brakes (worth a punt) - I was aiming to use Bosch Pads and Discs before I started pulling my hair out.

The car is 2003, 100k miles and it does not get much use - I'm a full time carer for a widowed parent - so Medical appointments and shopping are 95% of the journeys and funds are not that plentiful currently.

BMW_E60_Pads_A.jpg

BMW_E60_Pads_B.jpg

Edit: Just realised this is the welcome thread, I'll post in the correct area - so I don't hi-jack the thread!

Cheers,

Chris.

• 3 weeks later...