E30

Price for a good one: £4,500

Some of these are more than 20 years old, so it's arguably now a classic. What this two-door, four-seat drophead is, however, is very handsome and well-built, with a wonderfully smooth engine.

It's an Eighties style icon but none the worse for it – and cheaper than an Audi Quattro. Getting long in the tooth now and many have suffered the indignities of aftermarket wheels and spoilers as well as eye-watering mileages.

Drove well in its day, but was refined rather than fast, with taut-feeling controls, a ponderous gearchange, some scuttle shake and tail-happy handling. Trust your judgment.

And avoid questionable bolt-on parts. If it feels tired, it probably is.

Why you want one: wallet-friendly wind-in-the-hair, Eighties style icon, beautifully built and capable of long, trouble-free life.

Why you don't: cracked cylinder heads when neglected, questionable custom interiors and paint, snap oversteer in the wet.

You might not know: between 1986 and 1990 some 72,586 325i cabriolets were sold, making it the most popular cabriolet E30 derivative. It also gives today's buyer a big choice

• 5 months later...

My E30 Buying Guide in support of the above

So you are looking at buying an E30, a car which in many people’s eyes, saved BMW. Compared to its competition at the time it’s no wonder they sold so many.

Body work

Compared to the Vauxhalls and Fords of the same era they have stood the test of time extremely well. As with all cars look for poorly repaired examples however they are prone to rusting in the following places, so if you are looking to buy one be sure to check the following areas,

Front Foot wells and Jacking Points,

Rear Arches and Sills

If you open the boot lid just above the rear light cluster where the rear panel joins the outer quarter panel.

Top of the A pillars (bottom corners of the windshield)

You are of course looking at a 20 year old car, so rust can pop in other places however the above are the “hot spots”

Mechanicals

The chances are the machine you will be looking at will of done over 100,000 miles. So check the normal, excessive smoke, misfires over heating etc however these machines were well engineered and 250,000 miles is more than achievable. Weak points tend to be the Rear diff, the bearings have a habit of starting to get a bit noisy however this is not too much of a concern, and if you wish to have the unit refurbished it is around £100-£150 I have found.

Spares and availability.

If I need any part for my 1986 320 4 door I simply walk into my local BMW Dealer and order it, the parts supply for these cars are simply superb. The cars themselves have a huge following so it is not uncommon for examples which have reached the end of their working life to be dismantled and sold on as parts.

Driving

The BMW straight 6 engine is a piece of motoring history, It is smooth, respectfully powerful for it size and makes a sound which is simply addictive. On a scenic route home from the office, you will look for tunnels/country lanes to enjoy the sound track from under the bonnet. The drive as you should expect from a BMW, responsive and highly enjoyable. However these cars did gain a reputation for being “tail happy”, a bit too much right foot on a damp roundabout will certainly have you exercising your driving skill.

If you are looking for a practical classic car that you will not be fixing every weekend, look no further!, from this point onwards they will only appreciated in value. I know for sure that if I get stuck in a traffic jam in my E30 it will not skip a beat or over heat. Keep the fluids changed and well maintained and it will simply keep going and going!.

If I can be of any further assistance with any classic BMW please feel free to drop me a PM or Email

Guest Mister Dabsy

I agree, but apart from the pillars, everything else still applies to all BMW's. ;)

I love E30's if I cannot get a Skyline this year then that's the one !!

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links