Common Problems With Your E46

G4VHD

• 3 weeks later...

HI all,

This is my second E46 2 litre

Common problems on both :

1/ Leaking rocker cover gasket

2/N42 engine- cam chain tensioner

3/Driver and passnger windows not opening and closing properly - common problem with the rubber seals

4/Leaking oil vacuum pump- fortunately I never had that problem with mines

• 2 weeks later...

Rear lights all went due to faulty earth ( bmw dealer told me it was a common fault on these models) and airbag light keeps coming in and off but come to a conclusion its something to do with the sensor under the seat at a guess as it only goes off when someone gets in the passenger side, and slight knocking noise from the front from worn wishbone bushes and last but not least engine management light comes on now and then and was told it was something to do with the cat build up of poo inside of something like that

• 2 months later...

This my first 3 series 318i se estate. 02 plate. Handbrake not holding, brake shoes replaced. probable first time replacement. cooling fan not working on slow speed. fan replaced. Leaking coolant tank. leaking under pressure, replaced. brake vacuum pump replaced. Oil seal on rocker box leaking , replaced. Very good as for a 12 year old car.

• 2 weeks later...

New to this group... 2004 320d SE 107,000 miles

Recently noticed intermittent electrical problems on the rear of the car;

Rear parking sensor warning on permanently when reverse is selected.

Dashboard warning of both rear light failures when in fact everything was fine.

Boot unlocking when only door unlock (on key fob) is pressed.

Is there a common wiring block / header involving all if these that could be loose, ageing?

Would appreciate any advice, the rear parking sensor issue in particular is really irritating!

Thanks

Martin

Guest Mister Dabsy

If one parking sensor is dodgy the system fails.

Light Control Module (LCM) misread... Check wiring 1st if ok then LCM faulty.

Try "Deadlocking" the car with key (Lock as normal + quarter turn) then use fob.

What happens?

• 1 month later...

E46 320D Saloon SE Silver

So far only had to replace two break pipes on the back but I have encountered a few problems I've not had a chance to sort out yet!

Sticky headlight adjustment motor - right hand side. Left hand side works fine when I move the switch but right one only moves sometimes. Motor works but won't move!

Rusted rear break pipes

Erratic cabin fan speed sounds like it tries to power up and then goes back down and runs like this at different speeds

Exhaust pipe is vibrating very loudly .. This problem occurred yesterday and appears to be a clip that has eroded near the gear box

Passenger seat occupancy sensor

Turbo decides to kick in at around 2,500 revs then powers down again very quickly but this has been sorted simply by putting engine cleaner in the fuel tank

• 3 months later...

Hello Everybody.
I have no idea i am writing in the right place or not but hopefully.

So i have an 325I M sport touring [ E46 2.5L ], last week my clutch is totally destroyed so i was in the service and i got a brand new clutch with dual mass flywheel.

But now is coming what is my problem....

After that i had few issue with my car.

I see two error light in the dashboard

- one looks like handbrake light
- and one in the a same when i press the DSC what is now not working.

And one more thing and thats the worst my idle rpm is jumping between 500-1500 [ not always but most of the time ] and sometimes the car lost the power and just turned off...

I cant take back to the service coz that was 400miles away from my house,[ that was an emergency asap service.. ]
So i need a good service or somebody who can fix it or tell me what can i do. I tried to find something in the forum but i lost my way sorry for that , but i am newbie here haha :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone , I have a 2002 bmw 330d auto that is running lumpy when cold and under acceleration it's knocking or making this pinking noise , at the minute a bmw mechanic is having a look at it but there's no fault codes coming up so he's baffled , he just said to drive it till a fault code shows

• 2 weeks later...

2002 330ci sport.72k

New brakes rear

New windscreen

New rear springs (one was cracked)

New front arch liner

Decent tyres :)

Problems to sort:

It sounds like the bearings are starting to go on my belt tensioner, its started chirping slightly but not the dreaded squeal yet.

Slight rubbing sound when turning right from the front n/s caliper.

• 3 weeks later...

2003 330D SE TOURING Manual 5 NOW 172000Miles Owned 6+ years (bought from dealer with 60,000)

ISSUE`S

Gear lever bush?..as in stick sits at 5th & doesnt centralise to 3rd at about 140,000m

Bottom arm bushes at around 155000m..car does 99% motorway miles

Propshaft rubber joint at around 155000m

Left rear hand brake sticks ...yearly...clean out & is ok

Central locking...At around 160,000m..key will not hold charge. Usual!

Pusher fan has packed up!

At around 160,000 loom to injectors went. killed No3 cyl.common apparently?

330Ci 2005 convertible Auto 66,000m

Owned 2 months...nowt to report........

• 3 weeks later...

Hi to all new to site. A few things replaced on my 325 ci coupe . Lower control arms getting done Monday . Had oil level sensor changed , cam belt sensor done both door seals changed . Rubber pipe from back of air box changed .rocker cover gasket changed . But can't grumble had car 8 years .

2001 e46m3 51000miles

Alternator went

Airbag light (passenger awareness sensor)

Smoke pouring from dash... Nobody ever found out where from even with a complete strip out

Rear lca bushes

Sat nav failure (drive)

I'm taking it out today there is always a chance something may break

Oh and my handbrakes pants as well

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I am a newby

Not sure where to post this question

My oil light comes on about 10 seconds after I start up and stays on ( in yellow btw) for about 10 seconds then goes off , oil levels are fine

It is a 2003 330ci covert

Cheers

Hi I am a newby

Not sure where to post this question

My oil light comes on about 10 seconds after I start up and stays on ( in yellow btw) for about 10 seconds then goes off , oil levels are fine

It is a 2003 330ci covert

Cheers

Typical sensor issue

Guest Mister Dabsy

2001 e46m3 51000miles

Alternator went

Airbag light (passenger awareness sensor)

Smoke pouring from dash... Nobody ever found out where from even with a complete strip out

Rear lca bushes

Sat nav failure (drive)

I'm taking it out today there is always a chance something may break

Oh and my handbrakes pants as well

Your handbrake is pants because they're probably the originals ! :o

2002 318i touring. Rear screen washer and wiper not working. Was intermittent but now permanent. Auto electrician (non BMW) says switch, moter and wiring ok, thinks it may be something to do with multi-function module. Is this likely or does anyone know the solution?

Well in the last year my 330ci sport has had the following remedial work, vehicle shows 73k miles:

1) Replaced cracked rear coil springs.

2) Replaced front and rear bushes with Powerflex.

3) Replaced leaky expansion tank

4) Replaced headlight washers (leaking)

5) Replaced front and rear brakes, discs and pads.

6) Recall work on passenger airbag sensor.

7) Replaced boot light covers.

8) Replaced aux belts

9) A/C regas and anti bac.

10) Goodyear assymetric F1s all round.

This is all on a car with a fully stamped BMWSH which goes to prove time takes its toll on even a pampered E46. All worth it though as it drives spot on now, the best mod by far being the front and rear polybushes, beforehand the car had a tendancy to tramline and wander. It uses about 500ml of Castrol Edge every 2 months or 400 miles, this interval is longer if I don't rev it high.

Hi Chaps,

Started as a lovely sunny day! 330d in for mot...no worries me thinks as nowt wrong! So vert roof down enjoying driving around for the hell of it! A normally mundane trip was great in the vert to & from school....but hang on whats that squeek? Why is the steering juddering/Why is it pulling to the right..and errrr whats that burning smell?? Get home & left front wheel covered with pad dust! Hmmm sticky caliper. Phone goes....its the mot garage....she`s failed!...b@**@*ks. Brake pipes are toast £150 to sort. Back to the Vert read the forums on your experiences....new caliper? Take it to Bm INDY. He jacks car up & the wheel wont even turn! I think his 6 letter answer meant its poorly? Hmmm new caliper quickest fix tomorrow morning! So in the next week im gonna be £400 lighter lol but one has done 174000miles so cant complain the other with the roof down makes me 20 again so i dont care!!!!!!

Off on the bike after verts fixed...now thats 35yrs old so i wonder about tomorrow.....maybe ill take the AA card just in case lol

Regards

Mick

• Like 1

My e46 320d closed off on the road, no lights came up on the dash but after about 5 min the car start??? Can anyone tell me what happen there??? That was the second time the car's done that to me :-(

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links