Common Problems With Your E46

G4VHD

Can everyone post the problems that they have had with their E46 so that we can try to find a pattern of everything that we should expect to have to replace/fix on our 3 series?

We want to catalog common issues with the E46's.

If you've had no problems (Lucky you!!!), just post "no problems" and how long you've had it.

Thanks, thumbsup2.gif

• Like 1

your hand brake's fine enit?? :D :D :blink: :blink:

Hahaha, that was the pedal that stopped me, i nearly killed your car because of the poor hand brake lol...scary situation...i still loose sleep over that lol :o

bugger!! got a problem! knew it was too good to be true. the passenger side wing mirror dips when the gear stick is placed in reverse so you can see the curb, well thats stopped working, not a huge problem but never the less im just hoping its a fuse or something.....any ideas?

• Like 1

the sun has come out and its started working......or by the sounds of it maybe ive just knocked the switch ! thats if it can be turned on and off like that :unsure:

Recently failed MOT for handbrake not holding & got Refusal Grrr!!- Changed Pads & still only just held? Works great for me. Picky test station I'd say.

2 months ago had the DSC light appear on dash along with a amber ! (brake light). Got my AA mate with Diagnostics to check it out & came up as Steering angle sensor. He cleared the codes & its not come back on since, may be a warning its on way out or needs adjusting. Due a service so see if that picks it up.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, just joined and I can tell you this... I have a 2002 320d facelift, 170k owned it 4 yrs, bought it with 142k and it has had.....EGR valve replaced in yr2, clutch, bottom arms and ball joints in yr3, and 2 months ago it swallowed a swirl flap which luckily for me only damaged 4 valves. This swirl flap failure, after doing some research I found is a common and well known fault with these cars and usually is very expensive, often resulting in full engine rebuild, pistons, valves minimum, and in some cases turbo. Regular service 3-4k miles is recommended? Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

320d Touring. My door lock won't work with the key, rear screen won't open with the button on the wiper, knocking/creaking noise from front o/s corner sounds like breaks or worn busher but can't see anything, loud rattle/knock from underneath when accelerating hard sounds like prop shaft knocking, abit of turbo lag but probably needs a new air filter.

• 1 month later...

320i SE Saloon 2001 x

112,000 miles owned for last 2 years and covered 30,000 miles.

Nsf lower suspension arm

NSF & OSF susp arm bushes

Airflow masterpipe split

Radiator sidetank

Central locking a bit temperamental as is front passenger window

High oil consumption, approx 500 miles to a litre

Aroung 30mpg overall

May look like a lot of problems but the car has never let me down and generally runs well

Guest Mister Dabsy

Yes and at £16 a litre for Castrol Edge it gets a bit costly. I don't thrash it and I'm a bit puzzled as to why it uses so much?

If there are no obvious oil leaks (oil on the floor), have a smell at the fumes at the tail-pipe you will notice a difference with burnt fuel vs burnt oil !! This could mean excessive wear at the valve-stem seals, engine breather-pipe issues, head gasket ... Worst case scenario would be piston rings (oil control ring)...

Best to start with the easy stuff and have a real good look around the engine, top to bottom and check all mating gaskets and oil seals for leaks... Then maybe remove and possibly clean out the engine breather hoses...

The morning after it has been used try removing the spark-plugs and notice their condition (keep each one with it's corresponding cylinder)...

To be honest, if it is burning oil excessively you would probably be getting Fault Codes !