Changing manual E61 gearbox/differential oil?

paneuro

Morning Andrew

First tip, make sure you have the correct gearbox fluid and diff oil. Second tip make sure you can undo the filler plugs before draining the gearbox or diff. I do know of someone who drained the box then discovered the fill plug was damaged and couldn't be removed without taking the box out of the car

The job is much easier with plenty of room under the car so if you can borrow or hire the use of a lift brilliant.

Good Luck

Dave

Hi Andrew

The poor old Gearbox is the most abused part in many makes of car as far as BMW are concerned "Lifetime" means the end of their Warranty responsibility, so 3 years or about 60k 😁

The gearbox in your car should be the ZF G6-37DZ-TJEF manual box Fluid should be MTF-LT-3 The Diff if I remember correctly is BMW OSP Synthetic, I haven't found much better prices away from the Dealer, you should be able to find equivalents through most motor factors that may save a few pounds if you're on a budget.

Take a look at www.realoem.com put the last 7 digits of your Vin into the search box it will call up your model then check the gearbox section. The ZF manual says service every 60 to 80k depending on use and climate.

Dave

Hi Dave, I see what you mean about price. The thick end of £120 .00 just for the oil. I was also at the diff on OEM and don't see any fill plug listed. I asked the parts guy who gave me the price for the oil but he couldn't find anything listed for a fill pug either. Have you any ideas? cheers Paneuro.

Morning Andrew

Just to make life interesting for us DIY people BMW had 2 Diff types fitted to the E61 one with 2 plugs (Drain and Fill) and one the just has a Fill hole 😁 If my old brain is switched on you need a 14mm Hex drive to undo the plug.

If your diff has two plugs its straightforward remove the drain plug and fill plug and let the oil run into a catch pan. As a minimum replace the sealing washers on the plugs better to fit new plugs, refit the drain plug torque should be 60nm (44ft/lbs) refill until oil starts to dribble from the fill hole and fit the Fill plug (same torque) wipe any spill away job done.

If your Diff has just the one fill plug, you need an extra piece of kit a Vacuum pump to suck out the old stuff before refilling in the normal way. Goes without saying the car needs to be level when filling.

Dave

Hi Andrew 

It is there you will have to get under and look for it 

Did you ask the Parts guy why they sell the Oil for the diff if you can't put it in?? 

Here is an attachment that should help also take a look at www.pelicanparts.com go to their BMW Articles section they do some terrific "How Too's" with pictures. It is an American site but apart from the steering being on the wrong side everything else is the same.

BMW E60 E61 Diff Oil Change.docx