vanos system

G Smith

Hi I have a 1999 523i which will not pull above 2000-2500 rpm and have been told it's a faulty vanos solenoid. My question is ,the one on my car has the cable connected direct into the unit and i am having difficulty sourcing a new one however I have seen a similar looking one on amazon quite cheap which looks the same but has a 2 pin socket on the back instead, are they the same apart from the wiring which I could easily adapt. If not could anyone suggest where I could get the correct one? Thanks in anticipation

Morning Graham

Welcome to the Forum

From memory (always a dangerous thing) you have 2 Cam position sensors and 2 Vanos solenoids I think you may be looking at the inlet cam sensor.

I rebuilt a version of this engine a few years ago for a friend of our sons if I remember correctly the left Cam Position sensor has a direct plug connection the Right Cam (inlet) position sensor has a lead attached. The Vanos solenoids are hidden under and at the back of the Vanos unit

Take a look at www.realoem.com a BMW online parts list put the last 7 digits of your Vin into the search box and it will call up your model. Then Engine section and Vanos sub section when you have the Part Number if you double click on it you should get a list of alternate part numbers and models it was used on. Then google the part number for best price/supply.

Also worth looking at wwwpelicanparts.com an American site but their articles section has some really great "How Too's" with pictures

Good Luck hope this helps

Dave

• Like 1