Blocked washers it seems

jenksy0198

HI all, it seems the washers on my 650i are blocked on both the hood mounted washer nozzles. Headlight washers seem ok. Any advice on actions needed to clean these out and what I can do to try and prevent this happening again.

Regards

Paul

Morning Paul

I am not sure where the Washer reservoir is on your model but from memory it is tucked away behind the bumper  or under the wing. Either way you have to take a wheel liner out to reach it.

Your problem I believe is a build up of a jelly like sludge in the pump filter. The filter is on the end of the pump and easy to clean by washing it out, the down side is if the washer tank is full you need something to catch it in. BMW recommend their own Washer fluid the only difference is it has a anti-fungicide in it. There are several on the market just read the back of the bottle (I use Prestone from my local Auto Factors.

Dave

Hi all , done some further investigation. So, no water flow to the washer heads so I have a blockage elsewhere, not the heads. Washers to headlights are working when headlights are on so there must either be a blocked pump or filter somewhere in the main line or the washer main pump needs replacing. 

I am assuming that the headlights and windscreen washers operate of separate pumps.

I guess I should also check the fuses as well. Always possible one of them has blown.  

4 hours ago, Greydog said:

Morning Paul

I am not sure where the Washer reservoir is on your model but from memory it is tucked away behind the bumper  or under the wing. Either way you have to take a wheel liner out to reach it.

Your problem I believe is a build up of a jelly like sludge in the pump filter. The filter is on the end of the pump and easy to clean by washing it out, the down side is if the washer tank is full you need something to catch it in. BMW recommend their own Washer fluid the only difference is it has a anti-fungicide in it. There are several on the market just read the back of the bottle (I use Prestone from my local Auto Factors.

Dave

Thanks Dave, may have to pay for that service but at least I know where to go look.

Thanks for taking the time.

Paul 

Last week a member here asked where the fuses were for the washer pump. I checked in BMW TIS and found a Workshop symbol against the washer symbol ?? Nuts

It seems BMW engineers are not the only ones first found this super Idea on my wife's Subaru,

Dave

• 4 months later...

OK, eventually got to the bottom of this. No blocks just a faulty pump to the screen wash points. All changed and works fine now. Car running great right now and spending time under cover during the UK wet winter.  

Another challenge to tackle in separate post