2006 satnav screen

Birky

Hi im hoping someone can help me.

I recently purchased a 2006 3.0l D sport x5 the satnav screen has totally gone in it, when I went to halfords to buy a replacement radio the guy said I would need a whole new wiring loom which will cost about a grand. So does anyone know if the guy is right or where I can get another original screen either new or reconditioned 

Thank you in advance 

Morning Graham

Welcome to the Forum

The guy at Halfords is correct, currently your Radio and TV/Video unit are under the spare wheel in the boot the Navigation,CD Changer and Bluetooth unit are in the left rear cubby. The screen is just a display and control for the stuff in the back. I take it you have checked fuses.

There are a number of options open to you, first is it the screen or another issue ? Does the power light illuminate on the head unit or can you hear the radio? If you can then a replacement screen unit will be a simple swap and a lot cheaper than a full install

If you have been having other problems such as Flaky Nav or CD or Radio then the choices are change individual OEM units not difficult as they are all easily accessible. However if you start to add up the cost of changing multiple OEM stuff a change makes economical sense. I did this on my 4.4.

To change requires a 5m long ISO lead before fitting it I added a Nav antenna (SMA) extension and a Radio antenna extension. There is plenty of space to run the lead along the passenger side (tip get a set of trim removal tools) I unbolted the passenger seat so I could tip it back to get more room where the loom runs under it. A couple of hours fitting the loom and removing all the OEM stuff and replacing trim and the seat then connect up and test 😁

Best part I sold all the OEM kit on Ebay and recovered the cost of the Dynavin unit I replaced it with, word of caution here you will loose some of the check functions clock etc displayed in the binnacle (well I did back then) though I have read the newer Dynavin n7 units retain these. Everything looked OEM which I wanted but bluetooth was a huge improvement as was NAV TV and CD/DVD 

Hope this helps

Dave

Hi Dave 

This does help alot thank you, there seems to be power well I think, the screen seems to come on its dull but I can only see a few pixels coming through and the eject button works for the screen to slide down but i cant say i see the power light coming on. There is no sound though I can't even put a cd in to try that as the eject button is missing 😅. I did go to the scrap yard to try another and that didn't work either but if there's something else wrong that might explain why, is there any sure way of testing everything 

Graham

Hi Graham

The power light is beside the left hand Knob (small orange light) try pressing the button or turning it up/down. Fuses are in 3 places Glove box Rear right Cubby and a sneaky one under the Big Quadloc connector on top of the Radio (BM54) unit under the boot floor. In the right rear cubby you should find a fuse box there should be a diagram to show which does what. If its not there check fuses 72 (30a) and 75 (5a) there is also a relay No3 The BM54 Radio unit is under the Boot floor and the spare wheel remove them and the plastic protector plate (3 screws) and you should see the BM54 radio unit with a big Black Quadloc on top under it is a 10a fuse (sneaky huh) while your down there the TV unit is on the  left with Blue and White connectors 

As you recently purchased the car did it work when you first got it ? Is it possible the previous owner had an aftermarket unit fitted and removed it for sale? So check the Left Cubby for the Nav unit, Cd Changer, and ULF (Bluetooth unit tucked down the bottom. Make sure they are all connected.The Nav unit handles the Video signal to the headunit so if it's not connected or missing that could well be your problem. Mk4 Nav units come up on Ebay a lot normally around £90 to £150 depending on the seller 

Just re-read your original post while the Halfords man was right to say you need an extended ISO lead but a £1000 !!!!! try £60 for the lead plus a Dynavin (the one I used) unit or similar £250 to £600 (new) which will look totally OEM plus you can add all the bells and whistles, TV Dash cam Reverse cam Dab etc should you want So the choice (for me it would be) is if 2 or more items in the OEM system need replacing I would weigh the cost against Aftermarket replacement 

Dave

Hi dave

I will have a look tomorrow under the spare wheel, thank you for your advice I will start investigating. The radio didn't work when I bought it he said it just went off one day so maybe the fuse has popped or it's just gave up the goose 

Graham

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links