FITCAMX DASHCAM

isaneng

Afternoon all,

I've just picked up a G30, and I'm thinking to install a dashcam. The FITCAMX (https://www.amazon.co.uk/BMW-FITCAMX-Dedicated-Accessories-G-sensor/dp/B08X3FJ58M) looks like it's relatively easy to install and almost OEM in its appearance. Anybody got any experience or recommendations to share?

Thanks, Isaneng

Morning Rick

I guess it's a simple task to fit the camera the bit you need to think about is where you take the power from. With my brother Inlaws 5 series I took power from the glove box torch charger, on his latest we took power from the sun visor courtesy light. One member on here got hold of a spare chargeable torch and soldered the power connections to it so his install was removable without any great fuss

Dave

It piggybacks onto the mirror power supply - the lack of fuss and no wiring hassle is another of the attractions for me. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of them in use.

Morning Rick

Cant help with your camera in use as mine my wife's and my brother inlaw's are all Nextbase cameras. 

They all have vibration/collision sensor capability so come on when parked if the car is clobbered and they just work fine, I check ours once a month. Pull the memory card and check it's recording OK that's it. Happy to report in 7 years since fitting we have not needed the footage other than test and curiosity

Dave

• 1 month later...

I have just fitted a fitcamx into my 2018 G30.

The installation videos make it look easier than it really is.

There isn't that much to it but it is very fiddly.

The hardest part for me was dismantling the existing cover on the mirror. It was a very tight fit with little room to maneuver and it was also very difficult to reassemble once the camera was fitted.

Don't let this put you off, I'm just saying it isn't  as easy as it looks in the video, you just need small hands and lots of patience.

Once it's fitted, download the app t0 your phone and off you go.

It's very easy to operate and the picture is superb.

The best thing of course is the OEM look.

It's not the cheapest dashcam on the market but it works fine and it looks perfect.