Clutch condition

Hello, I am thinking about purchasing a 1998 Z3 with 115,000 miles on it. I just paid a whole lot for a clutch in my 2006 Mini Cooper and do not want to repeat this process. Is there a method of determining how much life the Z3 clutch has left in if there are no records? For example a way to look at the clutch lining or measure it without disassembling the drivetrain? Thank you.

Morning Dave

Welcome to the Forum

I have never been under a Manual Z car so I would check www.realoem.com have a look at the transmission section for the proposed car to see if there is an inspection plate on the bell housing, fingers crossed there will be. maybe try to get a bit off the cost in case? If it isn't slipping or making noises drive it and enjoy it

General condition of the car will give clues to the life it has led. Fortunately on todays roads volume of traffic tends to mean most cars live a relatively sedate life traffic light racers are few and far between.

A friend of one of our  sons is into Drift racing he has a specially prepared drift car in 3 years I have helped him service it he has had only 1 clutch issue  That was the clutch hydraulic line not the plate or pressure plate which are standard and get beaten up most weekends.

A clutch change on the Z3 should be in theory a little easier as the engine is inline, if I were doing the job I would change the Pilot bearing and RMS (Rear Main Seal) and throw out bearing guide and seals while in there.

Dave

Thank you, that is great advice all the way around, from the purchasing leverage to the repair itself if needed. I'd consider doing it myself, unlike the Mini Cooper that required the removal of the entire front end subframe from the car. I knew my limitations and don't regret having "bit the bullet" on that one. The Z3 ought not be more difficult than the trans swap I did on my former CJ5. I'll just need to jack up the Z3 whereas not the case on the CJ.

Morning Dave

If you coped with the trans in a CJ the Z3 will be a cinch 🤣

If you aren't aware a couple of useful sites are as said above www.realoem.com it is a BMW online parts website put the last 7 digits of the Vin into the search box it will bring up your model. Then check the relevant section for what you need, if you double click the part number you will get a list of alternate Part numbers and Models it was used in.

www.pelicanparts.com a USA site but apart from the steering wheel on the wrong side (😅) their Articles section has some terrific "How Too's" with pictures

Hope it works out and you enjoy your Z3

Dave

Thanks for the suggestions, and the warning about the right side steering. When I get to that section I will remind myself that it will not be necessary to change the car to right side steering to match the photographs.