Oil in coolant but not in sump.2003 X5 3.0d sport auto

Bruce

Morning Bruce 

The Torque converter has to be spinning for the internal pump to operate so drain refill 3 or 4 times is the only way I know of without dropping the box.

However I did carryout a flush process on a Volvo T5 which may work (similar capacity box) where the output line from the gearbox to the trans cooler was disconnected and diverted to a clear container (mine was marked in liter increments) run the engine 3 litres out stop engine replace fluid to the box, tip the old stuff out of the catch bottle and repeat until the fluid is coming out clean. It may be possible to do that with the ZF box 

Dave

Gearbox flushed,coolant system flushed no problems with oil being present where it’s not meant to be?Now going to carry out major service,with all filters,oil,pcv valve and oils.

Is the power steering quite heavy on these or is my power steering pump suspect?.

Rear level sensors to replace and steering column adjustment motors to change,restoration in progress lol

Anyone recommend a reasonable insurance company for BMW X5

Many thanks.

Morning Bruce 

Great news.

The power steering (according to family members who drive my 4.6is) is heavy, I am used to it and think they are just limp wristed 🤣

The level sensors are a simple job (just make sure the knee joint is pointing at the wheel) 

The steering column adjustment are you sure it's the motors? If the seat adjustment panel on the drivers seat has been changed and is incorrect it will stop other items working so worth checking that first. 

My insurance is with the AA but I live in a low car crime area and I am an OLD bloke so insurance is £349 

Good Luck

Dave

Thanks Dave,is there a way to identify if the seat switch is at fault?

Im an old get as well,I got a quote from Directline for £196 so I think that is as good as I’m going to get lol. Is there a way to reset the service indicator light without a code reader?

Morning Bruce

A guy local to me has a 3.0d E53 asked me in the supermarket car park how he could get his mirrors to close and if I knew how the steering adjustment worked. He came around one Sunday and we popped off the trim panel and checked the part number, it turned out a previous owner had fitted a seat adjustment panel from an E46. Seat adjusted fine but steering column adjustment and folding mirror were a no no. He found the right part through Quarry Motors it took about 45 mins to fit and he sold the E46 part on ebay and got most of his money back along with folding mirrors steering column adjustment and memory, win win

For the Service Indicator press and hold the left button (under the speedo) Holding the button down turn the ignition to position 1 you will see the word reset come up release the trip button reset will flash press again and it's reset. Or should be 🤣

Great price on the insurance Old Blokes Rule

Dave

If you can;t set the memory something is off, either wrong unit or it's failing With the chap I helped the unit fitted had 2 connectors (1 large 1 small) the cars loom had 3 connectors. When he got the right part they all fitted

With regard to the mirrors there are several reasons that they may not work, not all E53 X5;s had them fitted you can check using a BMW Vin decoder to see what was ordered at Build or just pop off the cover to see if there is a motor and limit switch fitted worth checking. Tip, get a good set of trim removal tools plastic retaining clips are easy to break. Also do you have the fold button beside the mirror adjustor 

Dave

On 5/10/2022 at 11:17 PM, Bruce said:

Gearbox flushed,coolant system flushed no problems with oil being present where it’s not meant to be?Now going to carry out major service,with all filters,oil,pcv valve and oils.

Is the power steering quite heavy on these or is my power steering pump suspect?.

Rear level sensors to replace and steering column adjustment motors to change,restoration in progress lol

Anyone recommend a reasonable insurance company for BMW X5

Many thanks.

Hi.

Please feel free to to give us a try for insurance if you wish.

Regards,

Dan.