Hi, just joined

Nigeb

Hi, I’ve just joined as I’ve now inherited my dads 1997 316 compact that he had from new. (Sadly lost my dad 2 years ago)

it’s been a very good car with only a few problems in the 25 years (this August!) and has only covered 49000 miles

The reason I’ve joined is I’m looking for help on the headlights as it was only passed on the MOT last year on the condition that the headlights were sorted. The light intensity is quite low ! due to the chrome reflectors becoming vey dull. 
I’ve removed the lights and stripped one of them which has revealed plastic reflectors which is a problem to get re-silvered. Also the plastic push brackets that are used to adjust the aim angle just broke up when dismantling.

just looking for advice on getting them re-furbed as both BMW and Hella don’t seem to be able to supply parts ???

In the meantime here’s a picture of the car taken a couple of years ago…. 2E9DD8AF-49A2-4274-BE34-0F4E5B5D26CA.thumb.jpeg.bbadc0224253cf01503516ab7d18ff57.jpeg69E0F0FB-E799-4C61-B76A-3B624CA8606E.thumb.jpeg.e5925d9c2a814b33eae997503fb26c77.jpeg

Morning Nigel

Welcome to the Forum#

Very nice looking Compact 

If my old brain is not playing tricks with me the Headlamp units on your car can be dismantled and the reflectors replaced/cleaned

Take a look at www.realoem.com put the last 7 digits of your Vin number into the search box, it should bring up your model in the classic section. Then look in the lights section there should be a small exploded drawing with part numbers, once you hace the part numbers then you can Google the best source. Don't forget your local BMW Dealer they offer good discounts on Classic parts

Good Luck with the search

Dave

Thanks for the reply, I’ll follow the link you sent to see if I can obtain parts 

A 2nd hand set of reflectors are listed on EBay, but they look a little “cloudy” and I’m worried if I buy them and try to clean them, the silvering will just come off like they did on mine 

thanks again 

Nigel

It’s the reflectors , see pictures. Found a 2nd hand set on eBay (£50) but I’m a bit wary as I know when the coating gets old/hot it can rub off with your fingers very easily 

used the link you sent to get the part numbers for the reflectors and rang BMW. 
they’re available on 7-10 days from Germany at £118 each !!

the 2 adjuster brackets per light are easily available off eBay for around £5

also rang a company in Brum called dual metalising than can re-coat both reflectors for £145 + Vat + carriage costs

not sure which way to go now I’ve got all this info lol 

79DD8399-0EE0-420E-8534-22F8F39FAAEB.jpeg

Looks as those should polish up OK is that the second hand set ? Maybe secondhand set and get the originals re-coated 

Great isnt it bit like the old joke about bus's wait for ages then they all turn up together 🤣

Dave

Hi Dave

the picture is the original lamp (the worst one) I’ve stripped the other lamp but as I learned with the 1st one I stripped, when I attempted to polish the dull finish with a slightly damp microfibre, the chrome finish comes off easily revealing the orange “undercoat” you can see in the picture. The set on eBay is £50 but I’m wary of getting these and trying to clean them .

They are available from BMW in Germany at £118 each on a 10 day lead time, but again another concern is if they’ve been in stock for X number of years in a stockroom they may have detoriated and I’ll have the same problem if they have dulled 

So I think my best option will be to have them re-plated by dual metallising @ £145 + VAT for the pair. 
I’ve also managed to buy the adjustment screws off eBay as the original ones just snapped off !

here is a picture of the ones off eBay for £50 that as I said I’ve got not guarantee that they will polish up without ruining them

2A28460D-6F07-4360-BBB3-87D7E17A86FA.jpeg

Morning 

could you give me the details for quarry motors ?

I’ve contacted Hella directly who want around £200 per light whilst BMW want £350per light lol 😂 

I’ve also posted on 2 breakers sites requesting both headlights, but had no response 

There are the odd ones on EBay but looking at them they will be of a similar age and probably no better than what I have.

There are also some available on EBay from Germany, but they are different part numbers as I think they will be for left hand drive cars, so the lights will be configured to aim the opposite way to the UK version 

The big problem is the Compact headlights are different to a standard 3 Series headlights , although they look the same. They won’t fit. That’s a shame because they’re much easy to find 2nd hand 

Nigel 

Can you check part numbers for the touring variant. I thought the headlights and mirrors were the same.

I know the saloon and coupe are all different. 

quarry motors are as below 👍🏻

A9CBBF8D-A31B-446A-B2C5-5BBA8ED6E522.thumb.jpeg.e4451ee3b839fa1756db8a0e5a5e0838.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had the reflectors re-chromed at Dual Metallising in Birmingham at a cost of £162. They have made an excellent job and they look like new !

67C10BC7-60D3-4746-9832-1DBC06DC2279.thumb.jpeg.a936d8ff7913136637a3cb98ef9d8cb3.jpeg

rebuilt the units with new genuine BMW glass seals @ £29 

2EFE8F29-1316-4FB6-A0E7-4283B82AF288.thumb.jpeg.994e8ce7dd44b04dbaf67775cc42effe.jpeg

Re-fitted to the car and they look fantastic. Well pleased with the results. I’ve also replaced the adjusting brackets inside, Need to re-align the headlight aim now before the MOT ! Incredible also to think all the original bulbs were re fitted and work fine, not bad for 24 years old !! 

477904CE-F76D-4E55-9E71-17F7F21145BF.thumb.jpeg.16b36f4cb6a4def70ec30b57e6edb9ec.jpeg

Morning Nigel

Great result with the re-chroming, the advances the automotive  lighting companies have made over the years we all have sealed for life plastic units now !!

Good luck with the MOT

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links