No start after low oil pressure light

SamBimmerMan

After high acceleration, low oil pressure warning came on, I shut off car immediately. No start, engine cranks but no start, smell of burnt oil inside cabin

I popped up the hood added a quart of oil just in case, and didn’t see anything wrong ( the ac belt flew off for some reason (I had put it on about 30 miles earlier), but that’s irevelant, the serpentine belt was still on and spinning when I cranked the engine) the engine turns over, crankshaft spins, but no start, about 30 miles ago I spun the engine backwards about 4 rotations (yes, I know I’m not supposed to do that) and I tried to start it without the air filter on and it started ran roughly for a few seconds and shut off, after that the car idled roughly and stalled out at stoplights or when idling, today I accelerated and the engine stopped giving power, I pulled to the shoulder and got it towed home under roadside assistance. The crankshaft still spins, oh and don’t confuse low oil with low oil pressure, someone told me it could b a bad spark plug because 6 cylinders can run without one or two cylinders, by the way I have a 2009 X5 30I e70 What are the possible causes ? Blown engine? Bad oil pump? Bad sensor? I’m ready to give this car to copart

Hi. Firstly check battery output and then disconnect the MAF sensor. 
the engine would still run with an oil pressure warning so I suspect the issue os not that. 
I had a similar issue with an e53 x5 and I replaced the dme and associated computers, it runs perfect now….. for now! 

Morning Sam

You say the engine spins on the starter does the oil light extinguish ? The smell of burnt oil could have been an oil leak onto the manifold or over heating, I assume the coolant levels are all OK.

You say you added a Quart of oil just in case? What is the oil level was it low? An over full engine can be damaged as much as one with low oil. As a precaution I would change the oil and filter.The oil pressure sensor is easily accessed on the oil filter housing and cheap to replace. 

If you are able to run a diagnostic scan it will tell you where the issue is and save in changing parts unnecessarily, but plugs and coil packs will be suspect after an over heating incident. 

As your US based Pelican Parts could be a great help check their Website for "how to's" or give them a call

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links