X5 3.0i 2003/2004 new purchase

GAH

Hello All,

Wonder if anyone can spare me a few moments of assistance please?

I have lots of history with Mercedes and Audi - my son has just purchased a 735i (2010) and I’m massively impressed…

We are looking for a LHD motor for long trips in Europe. 

Although I wasn’t the first car I was looking at we viewed an 03 X5 3 litre V6 petrol with 70k miles on the clock - overall the car is in very good order drives well no obvious faults.

It would have been supplied originally to the Middle East and has the larger fuel tank.  

I would be very keen to hear any do’s/don’ts and what to look for - having tried various other cars I have to admit I’m keen on this car in terms of build quality, feeling of space and the bonus security being in a solid car plus it feels SO much better all round than two ML’s of similar age we owned years ago.

Hoping a few keen owners will be able to guide us into ownership.

Morning Gary

Welcome to the Forum

If your contemplating long journeys my personal choice would be the 3.0d which will give high 20's low 30's MPG around town high 30's low 40's on a run and the facelift E53 with the 6 speed box is very relaxed. The 3.0i is a straight six and one of worlds great engines (the 3.0d is based on it's proven design) however due to the size and weight of the X5 there is very little difference in MPG between the 3.0i and the 4.4/4.6/4.8 V8 variants, high teens around town mid 20's on a run.

Make sure suspension bushes are serviced around every 80k and tyres are in good order (worn/tired bushes will chew tyres up)

Good luck with the search

Dave

Yeah, I agree with Dave. 
I have the 3l petrol and it’s very fuel heavy. Average 17mpg. 
Try and get a 6speed gearbox or auto version. I have the 5 speed manual and it is high on the revs at 70mph. It really needs another gear in there for cruising. It’s a very well built and comfy car with everything we need, loads of space and rear seats have good leg room for adults.  It’s definitely one of the best cars I have owned. 

Dave - Stu, 

Morning thanks for the welcome and very quick reactions - very nice. 

As mentioned very keen on the model now having had a little taster the space and heft of the thing really does appeal. 

I had in mind the V6 petrol would not be as much of a guzzler as it is and was veering that way as older diesels become less of an attractive proposal - we are looking for a car to dive to southern Italy and on to Greece for extended stays with family (and to take the dog...)  The Greeks are starting to have a bit of a thing about Athens and diesel so I'm told..

The blow now is that that car is really in good shape brand new Pirelli's all round and the wheels look immaculate (must be a re-furb) the only other consideration is I just don't 'get' the price structure for LHD - what were once a give-away are now SUPER pricey. 

That car is up for ten grand!

Afternoon Gary

All secondhand cars are at a premium just now due to the microchip shortage delaying delivery of new cars.

The BMW 3.0i is a straight 6 not a V6 you could look for a 3.0i or 4.4i that has an LPG conversion that would help on 2 fronts first LPG is roughly half the cost of petrol and second it helps with emissions

Diesel from being heavily promoted by many Governments around Europe seems to have become as Jeremy Clarkson once said "The fuel of the Devil" 

Good Luck

Dave

My 4.6is has now covered 161k I brought it originally to pull a horse trailer after selling our Horse Lorry. Most Journeys are local with a few motorway jaunts thrown in, During winter time some mild off road work as Shooting is a hobby an summer towing the horses to shows etc. My average MPG over the last 10k is 18.8 mpg so don't ignore the bigger V8's particularly if it has an LPG conversion 

Hope you find what you want and enjoy it

Dave 

£10k….. you can buy mine! 

seriously, I paid £2.5k 2 years ago and mines a 52 2002 model.  It’s ULEZ compliant due to it being petrol and it’s age, so I don’t get stung if I have to go into London ( I just get stung getting there!)  

as Dave says, have a look at lpg converted models but think about where to fill it if you are heading to Greece (not too sure of their infrastructure) or just run it on proper fuel. 
power wise, they are more than capable of the job and I would be happy to tour round Europe in it. 

lhd models might be cheaper to find in Europe as it’s the norm. 

Thanks all 

I'm not discounting the 3 litre petrol entirely yet.......I've just seen an 08 X3 2.0d SE Sport available but have a nagging idea i wont be overawed in terms of cabin size and the power 

I'm still amazed at the premium on LHD cars in UK and will see if there is a trick being missed of buying in Europe (Greece in a non-starter prices are completeley out of control)