3 Series v X3

Emmo

I have a 3 series M Sport 320D hardtop convertible. I love the car but it's got issues now where it's becoming impractical with regards not having a big enough back seat, getting in and out due to it being low, getting my drum kit in it and getting fed up when I go over the slightest bump in the road knackering the tyre and sometime the wheel as well - there's about an inch between the rim and the deck. I've stopped putting expensive tyres on it now.

I am thinking of changing to an X3 (with normal tyres). My 3 series is a 2013 and trade in I have been offered figures from £7k to £9.5k, but to buy an X3 of the same age and mileage will cost me an additional circa £8k. Can someone tell me if the X3 is a far superior car to the 3 series - i.e. worth a lot more - or is it just the dealers getting greedy and once I've part-exchanged it with them it will go up on their forecourt a similar price to what I've purchased an X3 for?

Regards, Martin.

Morning Martin

First trade in, when a dealer is taking a car in part exchange they have to consider two things !. Will it be re-sold on their forecourt or 2. Will it go for Auction

So clearly they will offer the lowest price they can in order to protect their Profit. When selling on their Forecourt they will price a car to maximise their profit even if they have to discount.Always remember who is paying for the "Free Coffee" 🤣

The X3 will have better ground clearance and more space for your drums but it is a heavier and more complicated car due to the AWD system which accounts for some of the additional cost.

Hope you enjoy the new car 

Dave

10 hours ago, Greydog said:

Morning Martin

First trade in, when a dealer is taking a car in part exchange they have to consider two things !. Will it be re-sold on their forecourt or 2. Will it go for Auction

So clearly they will offer the lowest price they can in order to protect their Profit. When selling on their Forecourt they will price a car to maximise their profit even if they have to discount.Always remember who is paying for the "Free Coffee" 🤣

The X3 will have better ground clearance and more space for your drums but it is a heavier and more complicated car due to the AWD system which accounts for some of the additional cost.

Hope you enjoy the new car 

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't got the X3 yet as there are certain criteria I need to meet, like a sunroof for instance and cream upholstery so still looking for the right one! I do know that garages need to make a profit, but I just wanted to know if the X3 always demands a higher price than a 3 series of the same year and mileage. From what you are saying, the X3 is a more expensive car anyway than the 3 series, so the extra cash needed is justified?

Thanks

Martin

• 1 month later...

Hi Martin,

firstly….. what kit do you have?? 😂👍🏻

surely just put the roof down and put the drums in. I used to be able to fit my full Pearl export into a e36…. Without the rest of the band, they would have to walk. 
In reality, the x3 is ok but how about a 5 series estate? 
the boot space would be about the same, if not a bit larger? Also it’s lower so the bass drum will be easier to load and it will be better on fuel as it’s not 4 wheel drive. I have an x5 e53 which is great, but the boot shelf is a little high if I want to lift large stuff in. The x5 boot will easily fit a standard kit and pretty much the full studio in. 
worth a thought 👍🏻

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2022 at 8:56 PM, X5smw said:

Hi Martin,

firstly….. what kit do you have?? 😂👍🏻

surely just put the roof down and put the drums in. I used to be able to fit my full Pearl export into a e36…. Without the rest of the band, they would have to walk. 
In reality, the x3 is ok but how about a 5 series estate? 
the boot space would be about the same, if not a bit larger? Also it’s lower so the bass drum will be easier to load and it will be better on fuel as it’s not 4 wheel drive. I have an x5 e53 which is great, but the boot shelf is a little high if I want to lift large stuff in. The x5 boot will easily fit a standard kit and pretty much the full studio in. 
worth a thought 👍🏻

Hi Stu

Only just seen your reply, sorry! I have two kits, a 2 year old Ludwig Classic Maple all in Ahead Armor zipped bags, and a 3 year old DW all in Hardcase's. The Ludwig is easiest to put into my E36 as it's just a 20" BD and a 14" FT, but the DW is a challenge especially with a 22" deeper (18"?) BD and in a Hardcase too. Both kits' hardware sets are in two 28" Hardcase boxes, purchased especially to fit in the boot (maximum length that would fit) but saves the old back opposed to putting all the hardware in one case!

I play in a 17 piece big band and use the Ludwig for that, and until last year I played in a Cliff Richard tribute theatre show which gave the DW an airing. The DW has it's own chrome snare but I use a 1976 vintage Ludwig Super Sensitive which is amazing - this replaced my 400 which was well pitted but had a good sound, the SS is immaculate and looks like new so goes well with the Classic Maple.

I did a gig in London in 2019 on a hot summer's day and travelled all the way from Nottingham with the roof down and the drums in! If I can guarantee the weather I do as you say, just put the roof down and drop the kit in, then fill the boot once the roof is on again!

Martin

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links