airbag removal E83

Dakta

Morning all,

I've a bit of work to do to my X3 to keep it tip top, one problem I've had is the airbag light has come on.

The code I'm getting is '01 MRS Driver, stage 1', and based off internet searching is pretty much indeterminate and most posts I've found across the internet involved people replacing random srs-related parts until the code cleared.

My first step is to check connectors, I have cleaned the underseat connectors and now wish to check the terminals on the steering wheel airbag unit as the code has not cleared, however for the life in me I cannot fathom how this is done.

I've trawled the internet on the subject until I'm sick - I cannot find anything comprehensive to illustrate how it is removed. There are countless videos showing to put a screwdriver through 2 slots on the underside of the steering wheel but they do not exist (just had the argument with a mechanic who insists they are there - they are not). All I have are the two holes pictured in the attachments but these don't seem to do anything, with battery removed tried insidering a screwdriver and feeling for any kind of retainer/clip and just goes solid, but I can't see if there's a torxue screw or anything instead so totally blind.

anyone done this?

IMG-20211203-123709.jpg

IMG-20211203-123729.jpg

IMG-20211203-123739.jpg

Edited by Dakta
finally got images to work

Morning Kristian

There should be a hole like the one in your second picture on each side of the wheel, when you slide a release tool/screwdriver in you can push down to release a tab while using a trim removal tool to lever up the Airbag. Once you have lifted one side repeat on the other, the airbag should lift away be careful there are 2 connectors underneath.

The hole in the picture looks a little used/abused so if it has been off a few times something may be a bit "err" worn inside so you may have to fish around to depress the tab.

Goes without saying make sure the battery is disconnected. You will need a BMW friendly Diagnostic programme to reset the airbag light 

Dave

Thanks for the reply ... 

Finally got it - if you slide a screwdriver etc into the hole you can easily go past the spring, reach the limit and think you're hitting a screw, the key for me was actually inserting a screwdriver in slightly and feeling about for it - i.e you can go past it and go too deep if that makes sense, once you do find it you can compress it slightly to check (if it feels solid, you're pressing against something else!)

Quite easy. when you know what you're looking for, otherwise - bloomin painful!

Next step is to actually identify the fault, as the fault code descriptions are shocking (MRS Driver, stage 1 with no additional details) we are firmly pushed into 'replace parts until problem goes away' zone. I.e we don't know if the airbag itself has a fault, or the module has a fault which makes it think the airbag has a fault - so first ill clean the terminals, try that and if that doesn't work then new airbag time.

people say they've had some faults with the slip ring however i've logged that with my launch diagnostic (can't get INPA to connect to the vehicle) and it reads the steering angle okay

Hi Kristian

How are you trying to connect INPA some models will need cable only connection others will accept bluetooth?

Quick question there was a BMW recall for the Drivers airbag has your car been done? Worth checking. If it is outstanding then talk to them and get it done

The slip ring/clock spring are normally pretty robust the steering angle sensor is further down the steering column. I don't know if your diagnostics is capable of resetting the SRS faults I think INPA is your best option for diagnostics and fault clearing

Dave

Hey,

I'm using one of those K+DCAN cables, I've actually had it years but never used it - after a bit of a faff I got it installed (I think) and it couldn't connect/find the device so I checked the obd.ini file, married the comports up and it appears now to attempt to connect but get a connection error in german whatever I try.

regarding the airbag, progress has been made - I couldn't do any proper diagnostic work as I didn't trust my multimeter not to trigger the airbag so I found an E83 been broken and bought the clockspring from that for £12. Fitted it and managed to clear the code with a Launch diagnostic - and it has worked 😮

Morning Kristian

Sounds a bit of a pain with INPA I would guess one of the drivers didn't/hasn't loaded properly 

Great news that you have a fix for the Airbag issue I would still make sure the recall has been done

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links