Funny noise

paneuro

Hi Dave, I think I will buy a new solenoid and fit it (only £20 squids) before I put the manifold back on but will block the pipe as you say and see how it goes.  Its easier to do that than wrestle about trying to fit it with the manifold on. If it doesn't work Its a matter of unblocking the pipe and pushing it on.🤞 I will let you know how it goes.  Andy.

Hi Dave, well after fitting the new solenoid and putting it all back together the dreaded EML is still there.  Looks like I'll have to go to the exhaust side now!! regards Andy.  P.S.  I took a screen shot of what Carly is telling me but don't know how to post it on here. I don't understand any of the figures given other than the engine temperature but you might.

Hi Dave, hope you can unravel this.

Air mass per cylinder 516.73

ambient pressure 1004.31 mbar

Boost pressure actual value 1033.85

Coolant temperature 81.24

Duty cycle boost plate 94.52%

Duty cycle of exhaust gas recirculation 86.65%

Engine speed689.56 1/min

Injection quantity 5.91 mg/Hub

Pedal value generator 0.00%

Rail Pressure Is  267.82bar

This is all the info as it appears on the screen. 

thanks Andy.

Afternoon Andy

Lets see now,

Air mass per cylinder 516.73           Seems OK

ambient pressure 1004.31 mbar      This will change with weather (High/Low Pressure) and altitude

Boost pressure actual value 1033.85              I take it this is at tick over ? 

Coolant temperature 81.24                              Should be between 80 and 90 degC

Duty cycle boost plate 94.52%                       Looks OK

Duty cycle of exhaust gas recirculation 86.65%              Shows your EGR is cycling

Engine speed689.56 1/min                                Tick over/Idling speed should rise if AC is on

Injection quantity 5.91 mg/Hub                      Not sure if this is right as Injector condition/fuel rail pressure will have an effect on the Atomization and Volume of fuel

Pedal value generator 0.00%                          Throttle closed 

Rail Pressure Is  267.82bar           This seems on the low side TIS says it should be around 448 bar 

Remember I don't have a diesel, but I would say it starts and runs OK with a smooth tick over. with low fuel pressure performance will be down though

Hope this is a help

Dave

Thanks Dave, looks like there's nothing greatly untoward there then? The car runs perfectly its just this b----y light.  I can get a guy to come and code the EML light out but I feel its like giving in!!  The only other option is find somebody who has the right in depth scanner who can narrow the problem down to a specific sensor. I have fitted 4 different sensors without success so far. I could continue onto the exhaust side and renew the 2 temp and 1 oxygen sensor but they would cost me around £130 squids with no guarantee. Not sure 😕 Andy

Hi Andy 

I would investigate the low rail pressure could be as simple as a fuel filter that's never been changed (yep when I changed mine it still had the manufacturing date on it and should have been changed twice before I got to it !!

Coding out the EML will be an automatic MOT failure as the EGR is cycling my bet is the O2 sensor is on the way out 

Dave

Hi Dave, the fuel filter as far as I know was fitted at year ago , that is to say I gave the garage a new BMW filter to fit while the car was in for its mot 1 year ago and I have no reason to doubt that they fitted it. I will go ahead and fit an oxygen sensor later in the week. What's your thought's on the 2 temp sensor's on each side of the oxygen sensor? regards Andy.

Hi Andy

A faulty exhaust gas temperature sensor can negatively affect a vehicle’s after-treatment system, resulting in the following symptoms:

• Check engine light: if the ECU detects a problem with the sensor or signal, it will trigger the check engine light to come on.
  • Reduced fuel efficiency: if the sensor relays incorrect voltages, the DPF regeneration process can take longer, resulting in increased fuel usage.
  • Unnecessary DPF regeneration: faulty sensors can also lead to unnecessary regenerations, causing inconvenience to the vehicle owner.
  • Failed emissions test: a false reading can cause the EGR system to malfunction, without triggering the check engine light. This can result in an emissions test fail.
  • Component failure: increases in exhaust temperatures can also contribute to the premature failure of other exhaust or internal engine components.

These sensors are not cheap (around £150 each) so if you can't test them yourself get the help of an Auto Electrician or Garage the O2 sensor would be about the same cost. 

Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for the advice. I have already ordered a new oxygen sensor on EBAY  (£40 quid) so will keep fingers crossed. I could have got a used one (£12)) but I feel its a bit of an unknown quantity. I feel I have to be getting close to solving the problem before long. I am also looking into getting somebody to put one of these in depth scanner programmes into my old laptop. cheers Andy

Hi Dave, I have spoke to a friend and he has sent me the scanner programs and says he will talk me through how to install them. I have got the oxygen sensor out and am awaiting the new one, should be here by the weekend so I will keep you posted how it goes. regards Andy.

That sounds great Andy at least you will have a clear picture of what is going on.

Fingers crossed the O2 sensor will be the fix, I am told that the Temp sensors rarely go wrong (that is tempting the Gods) 

When you get your software set up on your first scan you are likely to see what appear to be loads of issues. Clear all faults then rescan.

Dave