e93 convertible buyers advice

kevj1977

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, dont actually own a BMW (yet).

I am looking at buying a 2008-2010 E93 325i Convertible in the not too distant future and wondered if there are any things I should be looking out for - common problems, etc.

Thanks in advance.

I can only go by my own experience as this is my first BMW.

In April 2019, I bought an E93 325D Convertible. This is the folding hard top version and is the Sport Edition. Year is late 2012 and I bought privately for a little over £10K.

I was made aware by the seller it was due a service and it had done just under 65K miles. The bodywork was, and still is, immaculate.

Service revealed two rear tyres needed because of cuts on the inside sidewalls and a front shock absorber leaking. Apart from that, only oil and filters.

I guess that's the price of buying privately where you can't put it on a ramp and have a good look underneath.

I guess I spent £500 or so getting it legal and safe.

Since then, its done about 5K miles per year and is an absolute joy to drive. With the turbo diesel straight 6 engine there's plenty of power for my needs and even with runflat tyres, most of the time it's a comfortable ride.

I intend to keep it until I can't get in and out of it which I think was the previous owners problem. He was in his mid 70's and I'm still only just over my mid 60's !!

I have the oil and filters changed every year and this and any other required work, (not much) is done by a local Independent who is ex BMW.

Hope this helps.

When you buy, enjoy 🙂

Morning Kevin

Welcome

John has said most of it above, History History is important plus make sure everything works as it should press every button and switch. If you get the "Easy Fix, only £20 on Ebay" for anything not working, ask yourself why ?? If it's that simple hasn't it been done? Obviously Dealer Purchase gives more protection but Private purchase can give great savings and more room to negotiate.

Dave

• 4 months later...

Hi Kevin, I've owned a 2008 E93 330i M sport, for the last 2 years. All I will say is do the checks on the car before you buy, and buy the best you can afford as parts can be on the expensive side, also doing as much in the way of maintenance as you can yourself will save you more than a few pounds.  Having said that go get one, it's a real pleasure to drive, In the summer with the hardtop down and the sun shining  I usually take the long route to anywhere. 

Hi Kevin

I have owned my hard top convertible for just over 3 years now and still love it - normally I get fed up with cars after this time but not this one, however as a drummer I find it a bit limiting getting my kit in so I'm on the look out now for an X3! Plus points: Great in the hot weather with the roof down, but I would advise getting the rear wind deflector as they make all the difference, around £450 from BMW but I got a new one on Ebay for £100 (old stock from a dealer) so shop around - or wait until I get my X3! As others have said before me, the car is an absolute pleasure to drive, roof on or off. Negative points: Low profile tyres, have been a nightmare for me and I have damaged alloys and replaced tyres like there's no tomorrow on occasion - there's about an inch of rubber between the rim and the tarmac so avoid potholes like the plague! I have given up now on putting decent tyres on my car and the last one was a budget for £65. Run flats - get rid, and get a 'get you home' spare wheel, but be aware that it will take up some of the extremely limited boot space. Again, stupid money brand new, so I got one off Ebay for about £50. Boot space - small, and even smaller with the roof down and with the spare wheel virtually zero capacity. Rear seats - Unless you are putting small kids on the rear seats, forget they are there, however, handy for putting suitcases on especially when the rear seat rest hinges down to create a flat surface. And lastly, be aware you will probably have some rattles somewhere which is due to all the mechanisms for the roof. If you play golf like me, unless you get the model with the centre 'ski' hole in the back seat rest, your clubs with have to go on the front seat next to you. Other than that, enjoy!

Martin

• Like 1